EAB "Hall of Fame" Designers

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Anyone else notice the comments in the June, 2016, Sport Aviation's letters to the editor about Burt Rutan's and Martin Hollmann's design skills? Page 6.

BJC

henryk

-my vote=

Witold Kasper \Kasprzyk\, discovered new fenomenon in aviation=VORTEX augmented lift...STATIC stability of flying devices...

\ KASPERWING, BKB, BEKAS, KC200\

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
We are bless with so many great aircraft designers. Think how it would be without them and all the great aircraft designs we have to chose from. Wish I had more time and money to build and fly more of them.

Reactions: BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Anyone else notice the comments in the June, 2016, Sport Aviation's letters to the editor about Burt Rutan's and Martin Hollmann's design skills? Page 6.

BJC
I missed it. Tend to just skim now.
Very strange to find a critical letter, or two actually.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops:

Aren't several of your airplanes your design?

BJC
The SSSC was my first and the JMR Special my second. I made some changes in the Bearhawk that Bob Barrows used and he also had input on the SSSC and the JMR. The 4 seat Bearhawk was not Bob's first homebuilt that he designed and built. So he has designed and built 4 different homebuilts.

Reactions: BJC

bwainfan

While I am proud of my years of writing, and I hope it is informative to my readers, I can't compare to Jack Cox as an aviation writer.

Jack was one of a kind, and one of the best writers to cover the experimental aircraft and homebuilt world. He was also a true gentleman, and a friend whose passing made us all a little poorer.

Jacks writing about the airplanes, and the people behind them inspired many (most) of us in our aviation dreams, and for that alone he deserves to be remembered as one of the greats.

So Bob Whittier inspired homebuilding with articles, he never designed any Homebuilt, yet he was inducted into EAA Homebuilders Hall of Fame. Also Jack cox and others, see my link.

Really? Barnaby writing for decades about aircraft theory can't compare with Jack Cox who never designed anything.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
With sincere respect for the number of different aircraft he designed, I'm still surprised to see Robert Baslee mentioned if his name is not mentioned directly next to Graham Lee. It was my understanding that it was Lee's Nieuport started the ENTIRE "tube and gusset" movement that has resulted in a lot of airplanes (Baslee, G. Lee, others) being built safely and easily by amateurs.

Although my heart is completely with Autoreply in mentioning the three brilliant fathers of the D-36 sailplane, they did not create an amateur built aircraft for amateur construction. The Akafliegs have always been bad-ass serious, these institutions are not grandpa's garage ! Same with Delft's brilliant Dr. Boermans. With the exception of the work that Wil Scheumann did on one AS-W12 (cranked wing planform) the D-36 was never a prototype for a homebuilt aircraft, it was the prototype for a production commercial sailplane (a really bad-ass sailplane!!!)

This thread has turned into a listing if virtually every known E-AB designer, and has extended far past a Hall of Fame for the greatest few.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
While I am proud of my years of writing, and I hope it is informative to my readers, I can't compare to Jack Cox as an aviation writer.

Jack was one of a kind, and one of the best writers to cover the experimental aircraft and homebuilt world. He was also a true gentleman, and a friend whose passing made us all a little poorer.

Jacks writing about the airplanes, and the people behind them inspired many (most) of us in our aviation dreams, and for that alone he deserves to be remembered as one of the greats.
We all miss Jack. I only mentioned Jack because although he never built a Homebuilt, he had a huge impact on homebuilding and was inducted into EAA Hall of Homebuilding.
This thread was created for us to list our own choice of favorite designers, (see post 1).

My comments were made only because I objected to others that felt the need to question my choice of designers. I didn't think this thread needed to go in that direction.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
The EAA Hall of Fame is not just for designers or builders. From the nomination form:

The person you nominate can be from any period in the history of aviation. Activities that would make a person potentially eligible would include, but not be limited to: designer, builder, educator, innovator, award winner, leader, record setter, technical contributor, flyer, etc. The award may be given to a living person or posthumously.
Jack Cox not only was an outstanding writer, but also was an outstanding person. My friend and neighbor bought Jack's Comanchee when Jack quit flying.

BB is correct, this thread was started to list designers whom HBA members consider to be hall of fame designers for their HBA designs.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
With Chris Heinz’s passing, half of my original list are deceased.

Who are the emerging / potential Hall of Fame E-AB designers?

BJC

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Did Elliot design Wasabi? Something else?
Yes. Design, build, test, race. His wife and Justin deserve some credit there too. Also the TWERP was quite an interesting home built project.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I put forward a nomination for Bud Evans a couple of years ago, even connected with his son, but it didn't seem to get any traction. It's hard to imagine any other homebuilt having sold more plans or inspired more dreams than the Volksplane.
Evans certainly made a very positive impact on homebuilt aviation.

Did you nominate him to the EAA, or to this thread? If this thread, there is no criteria for “getting traction.” All input is valid.

BTW, I co-sponsored Budd Davisson for the International Aerobatic Club (division of EAA) hall of fame several years ago. He was not selected; apparently his membership in the good old boy’s club had expired.

BJC

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Evans certainly made a very positive impact on homebuilt aviation.

Did you nominate him to the EAA, or to this thread? If this thread, there is no criteria for “getting traction.” All input is valid.

BTW, I co-sponsored Budd Davisson for the International Aerobatic Club (division of EAA) hall of fame several years ago. He was not selected; apparently his membership in the good old boy’s club had expired.

BJC
I would like go out to his Pitts checkout course. Never flew one. Always wanted to. He stays very busy.
I ground looped a Smith, maybe I would get a chance to ground loop a Pitts :) I was a student pilot then, I have progressed and wouldn't take me as long. :)

BJC

HBA Supporter
I would like go out to his Pitts checkout course. Never flew one. Always wanted to. He stays very busy.
I ground looped a Smith, maybe I would get a chance to ground loop a Pitts :) I was a student pilot then, I have progressed and wouldn't take me as long. :)
Try to fine an S-2B or C; they are closer to an S-1S than Budd’s S-2A. Any of the -2’s have visibility from the front seat very similar to the S-1S.

But be prepared; once you have flown a Pitts, no other sport airplane will handle as well.

BJC