EAB "Hall of Fame" Designers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The Evans Volksplane VP-1 may have you beat there. I seem to remember a documented case of over 30 pilots checking out on the same VP-1 in one day.

The number 73 comes to mind, though 200 is rattling through my brain for some reason.

It's more impressive when you remember this is a single-seat aircraft...takes a bit of confidence.

It was also Tom Poberezny's first homebuilt solo.

Ron Wanttaja

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
My list of "Hall of Fame" EAB a designers. Note that I have very little knowledge of designers outside of the USA, so please forgive me for not mentioning some of them.

In no particular order:

Orvile and Wilbur Wright
Richard VanGrunsven
Tom Hamilton
Dave Long
Curtis Pitts
Burt Rutan
Homer Kolb
John Thorp
Chris Heinz
Dick Schereder
Chuck Slusarczyk
Igor Bensen
Randy Schlitter

Please add your favorite designers.

BJC
Barnaby Wainfan

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Huh, for one aircraft, for which plans and kits were not offered? Hardly EAA Hall of Fame material.
Orville and Wilbur Wright didn't offer plans or kits either, yet was on top of list in post one.
I guess I missed this requirement for commercial activity criteria for amateur homebuilder designer fame.
So Paul McCready didn't sell plans either. But he was voted engineer of the century, among other things.

EAA criteria is whatever it is. Some did not sell plans, see here: http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/about-eaa/eaa-sport-aviation-hall-of-fame/eaa-homebuilders-hall-of-fame
This thread is EA-B. Experimental AMATEUR Built.
Amateur is non-commercial by definition.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Yes, Wainfan writes articles for Kitplanes and he did design and build one interesting homebuilt aircraft. I have no idea what the EAA criteria are but I think people who inspired and or helped many others to build and fly homebuilt aircraft would be worthy of a hall of fame. It's not about commercial activity, it's about having a significant impact on amateur aircraft building. I just don't see that in this case.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yes, Wainfan writes articles for Kitplanes and he did design and build one interesting homebuilt aircraft. I have no idea what the EAA criteria are but I think people who inspired and or helped many others to build and fly homebuilt aircraft would be worthy of a hall of fame. It's not about commercial activity, it's about having a significant impact on amateur aircraft building. I just don't see that in this case.
So Bob Whittier inspired homebuilding with articles, he never designed any Homebuilt, yet he was inducted into EAA Homebuilders Hall of Fame. Also Jack cox and others, see my link.

Really? Barnaby writing for decades about aircraft theory can't compare with Jack Cox who never designed anything.

Last edited:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Sorry, I just don't see it. Garrison had an important role bringing folks into homebuilding through non-homebuilding aviation magazines. Whittier contributed lots of practical articles for homebuilders to actually use. Cox was at the helm of Sport Aviation during what some might call that magazine's golden age. Wainfan, meh. My opinion is certainly colored by that fact that I met him at Oshkosh a few years ago and he was kind of a jerk to me.

BJC

HBA Supporter
So Bob Whittier inspired homebuilding with articles, he never designed any Homebuilt, yet he was inducted into EAA Homebuilders Hall of Fame. Also Jack cox and others, see my link.

Really, Barnaby writing for decades about aircraft theory can't compare with Jack Cox?
BB:

Feel free to make any list that you want, with any criteria that you want. Note, however, that this thread is about
My list of "Hall of Fame" EAB a designers. Note that I have very little knowledge of designers outside of the USA, so please forgive me for not mentioning some of them.
and, yes, I consider the Wright brothers to have been E-AB designers even though there was no FAA designation of such when they were designing. YMMV.

BJC

Riggerrob

A couple of related questions: who is the most prolific designer of Homebuilt airplanes? IOW who's design has been built (and flown) in the greatest numbers?

Richard van Grunsven?
Bernie Pietenpol?
Henri Mignet?

Secondly: who designed the greatest number of different airplanes?
Marcel Jurca?
John Thorp?
Mr. Baslee?
Igor Bensen?

choppergirl

Banned
Probably more built than any other aircraft... including the BF109 and Cessna 170's... everyone here has built one; and yet, nobody has mentioned the designers:

The Ancient Chinese / Japanese

But my vote is for mother nature. She's invented more flying things than anybody else at all. If it weren't for the multitude of flying birds and insects that man watched and saw time and time again, it is doubtful any man made aircraft would exist at all today. Eventually yes maybe, by someone astute watching things blown in the wind...

I put mother nature at the top of the list...

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
My list of "Hall of Fame" EAB a designers.
Please add your favorite designers.

BJC
I am adding to MY favorite designer list as you invited in post #1
But I didn't think I would have to read qualification comments about my favorite choices.
Enough of this thread.

BJC

HBA Supporter
A couple of related questions: who is the most prolific designer of Homebuilt airplanes? IOW who's design has been built (and flown) in the greatest numbers?

Richard van Grunsven?
Bernie Pietenpol?
Henri Mignet?

Secondly: who designed the greatest number of different airplanes?
Marcel Jurca?
John Thorp?
Mr. Baslee?
Igor Bensen?
My guesses:

Van for the most flying examples, Jurca for the most designs.

BJC

Raceair

steveair2…..Thanks for including Me!…I am grateful to be considered for my desire to provide construction drawings that the average person can work with to build an inexpensive, safe Homebuilt…...
BJC-…from your earlier post…..Rockford was 1959 thru 1969, And I Missed three of those years, '64,65', and '66…because I got 'stuck at Grandma's' while Mom and Dad flew the Stits Skycoupe to Rockford….Oshkosh started in 1970, and I missed two of them…'86 and '96, So I have called EAA 'conventions' a second home for all of my life, and something that you just 'do' every summer. Even today, with as big as it is, you can still find your particular little corner of aviation there, If you look for it….Ed Fisher

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
steveair2…..Thanks for including Me!…I am grateful to be considered for my desire to provide construction drawings that the average person can work with to build an inexpensive, safe Homebuilt…...
BJC-…from your earlier post…..Rockford was 1959 thru 1969, And I Missed three of those years, '64,65', and '66…because I got 'stuck at Grandma's' while Mom and Dad flew the Stits Skycoupe to Rockford….Oshkosh started in 1970, and I missed two of them…'86 and '96, So I have called EAA 'conventions' a second home for all of my life, and something that you just 'do' every summer. Even today, with as big as it is, you can still find your particular little corner of aviation there, If you look for it….Ed Fisher
Thanks for that information. So 1970 was the first year for me.

Kevin N

Todays "polished" EAA oshkosh (I refuse to call it airventure) is a far cry from the old Rockford days as far as flying. EAA attorneys would have a heart attack if they saw how the fly by pattern was conducted. It was not unusual to see P51's screaming by right on the deck and people walking almost anywhere they wanted. My first Rockford was 1963 when my dad and I flew our J3 there. In '64 we competed in the AC spark plug rally in the same cub. The fly in was organized but still had a wild west appeal. No fat bastards on minibikes with safety vests blowing whistles at you telling you can't go here or you can go there. Yup, I'm an old fart reminiscing of the good old days.