EAB "Hall of Fame" Designers

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Chris Falconar. Designed 20 Homebuilts. Also I believe him and Chris Heinz worked together in France for the Robin Aircraft Co.
Dan
I don't know that Falconar did many original designs, mostly he adapted the designs of others (Mignet, Jodel, etc.).

autoreply

The D36 has probably been the biggest stepforward in (homebuilt) aviation. Involved were:
Gerhard Waibel; later chief engineer/owner of AS Flugzeugbau
Klaus Holighaus, CE/owner of SH Flugzeugbau
Wolf Lemke; CE and founder of LS Flugzeugbau

Ursula and Eugen Hänle; founders of Glasflügel Flugzeugbau, together responsible for as many innovations in composite airframes as the rest of the industry combined.
Otto Funk: designer of almost a dozen aircraft and founder of FK Flugzeugbau

Loek Boermans; responsible for the aerodynamic design of dozens of different aircraft, some of them experimental.
Jan Roskam; great book series and important in many designs. The Avanti is probably his crown jewel.

Note that two of those people passed away while flying, despite being top-notch pilots. An eternal reminder for me about the inherent dangers in flying.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Some of these have been mentioned before, but in terms of those who have influenced me most....

Bernie Pietenpol
Henri Mignet
John Taylor
Bud Evans
Leeon Davis
Pete Bowers

and

Phil Bolger (actually a boat designer but with a big impact on how I think about design)

Wanttaja

Guys:

You have identified lots of notable people, amd they all deserve our recognition; however, I am interested in designers of Experimental Amateur Built airplanes.

Something that I should have done in the OP was to name an aircraft that I believed to qualify each designer.

I'm certain that there are some that have not yet been mentioned.
Well, Peter M. Bowers of course. Designer/builder of the Fly Baby, the only homebuilt to win an EAA design contest. Free plans printed in Sport Aviation, 5,000 plans sold, 500+ aircraft built.

Ron Wanttaja

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don't know that Falconar did many original designs, mostly he adapted the designs of others (Mignet, Jodel, etc.).
Everyone builds on other designs to a certain extent.
Chris Heinz's first CH-200 was a homebuilt version of the aircraft that Chris Heinz and Chris Falconar designed for the Robin Aircraft Co (HR-200). Chris Falconar's F-12 was the all wood version of the same aircraft but with the bent wing(like the Jodels) and Heinz's CH-200 had the straight wing in all alum. The Jodel series and and Falconar series of aircraft are mods of the same aircraft.
Dan

bmcj

HBA Supporter
If you're going to be an aircraft designer, then Falconar is definitely a cool name to have!

BJC

HBA Supporter
Well, Peter M. Bowers of course. Designer/builder of the Fly Baby, the only homebuilt to win an EAA design contest. Free plans printed in Sport Aviation, 5,000 plans sold, 500+ aircraft built.

Ron Wanttaja
Ron:

How many different pilots flew the original Fly Baby?

It must be a record for a homebuilt.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Ron:

BJC
That is a very good question, and one that could be a topic in itself. I've heard of some designers that bring their prototype out and put as many people as they can get behind the controls to prove the ease of flying.

Wanttaja

Ron:

The number 73 comes to mind, though 200 is rattling through my brain for some reason.

It's more impressive when you remember this is a single-seat aircraft...takes a bit of confidence.

It was also Tom Poberezny's first homebuilt solo.

Ron Wanttaja

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Remember the PINK Fly Baby at Osh ?
Dan

BJC

HBA Supporter
QUOTE=Wanttaja;243328]The number 73 comes to mind, though 200 is rattling through my brain for some reason.

It's more impressive when you remember this is a single-seat aircraft...takes a bit of confidence.

It was also Tom Poberezny's first homebuilt solo.

Ron Wanttaja[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that it was either just over 200 or 500. I was amazed when I first heard the number a few years ago.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Remember the PINK Fly Baby at Osh ?
Dan
Would that be the Pink Baroness, flown by Gail Turner?

I flew that very same plane, but only after Bill Turner painted it red to match his Brown B2 Racer. The sans-pink Flybaby was renamed Miss Los Angeles Too and based at Flabob Airport.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Would that be the Pink Baroness, flown by Gail Turner?

I flew that very same plane, but only after Bill Turner painted it red to match his Brown B2 Racer. The sans-pink Flybaby was renamed Miss Los Angeles Too.
Yep-- Give that man a cupie doll. Also she displayed it with a vase of flowers on the nose.
Crap-- I'm getting old to remember that year at Osh. Dan

BJC

HBA Supporter
Yep-- Give that man a cupie doll. Also she displayed it with a vase of flowers on the nose.
Crap-- I'm getting old to remember that year at Osh. Dan
Who else remembers Oshkosh when it was at Rockford?

BJC