EAA will pay for the DAR inspection??

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pfarber

I read this" EAA members can receive an inspection by a DAR with fees waived, except for out of pocket expenses. "

Anyone have more info? OR is it more along the lines of 'you can get a free checkride from the FSDO' kinda thing??

pfarber

So like the 'free' FSDO checkride.... its a thing, that's not really a thing.

I mean it seems to be a good idea, maybe if the FAA let the EAA manage a few DARs (how rowdy are DAR's that the FAA cannot simply add 5 or so per region? How high is the management load for 5 people per FSDO office?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I mean it seems to be a good idea, maybe if the FAA let the EAA manage a few DARs (how rowdy are DAR's that the FAA cannot simply add 5 or so per region? How high is the management load for 5 people per FSDO office?
DARs are designated airworthiness representatives, and are neither employed nor managed by the FAA or EAA or anyone but themselves, just like DPEs, DERs, etc. If the FAA were to hire more airworthiness inspectors as suggested, then, by definition, they would not be DARs; they would be FAA-employed airworthiness inspectors, and not designated representatives.

TFF

DARs have limited powers for certain things but are private business. The last homebuilt one friend completed was about $500. Like a check ride, you pay that designated examiner their fee. A DAR in some special EAA chapter might not charge, but they are either trying to hold onto the credential or get some good perks.

My FSDO only has one person that signs Homebuilt airworthiness. They are always the lowest on the Totem pole. Essentially new hires get that duty. There might have been ten people that have been that person in the office but they have other jobs. No cross pollination in the FAA. No one else will sign your stuff but the one guy or girl.

BJC

HBA Supporter
My FSDO only has one person that signs Homebuilt airworthiness.
TFF knows this, but I will elaborate for those who do not.

There are different classifications of DARs. Not all are qualified to issue an E-AB airworthiness certificate. And some who are qualified choose not to.

BJC

crusty old aviator

HBA Supporter
If you're an A&P (an IA would help) with lots of E-AB condition inspection experience, you may qualify to become a DAR-F for the MIDO in your region: https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/designees_delegations/individual_designees/manufacturing/become/
A DAR-T works through the FSDO, but isn‘t authorized to issue SCoAs to new aircraft. The DAR-F does that through the MIDO.
You will have to go to OK City for coursework and will be authorized to inspect only the kinds of aircraft you have prior experience inspecting (tube & fabric, wood, all metal, composite, etc.).

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My neighbor, an old IA went to Ok City for the classes and everything was OK until someone in the local FSDO decided they didn't want him.
Very, very good IA and retired Air Guard airframe. None better in airframe work. Him not being a DAR is a lost.
Could answer any question you had and I had a lot.

Turd Ferguson

HBA Supporter
I'm gonna have disagree on this. They most certainly are managed by the FAA. Now the DAR is independent w/r/t scheduling, but they most certainly answer to (aka are managed by) the FAA.
That is correct. The boss for designees is the FSDO. The FSDO even manages folks that hold IA.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That is correct. The boss for designees is the FSDO. The FSDO even manages folks that hold IA.
I understand what you're saying, but designees still do not work for the FSDO. The FSDO cannot by fiat add DARs (unless perhaps there is a DAR draft lottery I don't know about). The hair-splitting of the definition of "managed" and the introduction of the concept of "boss" (which we could parse till the chickens come home) are purely irrelevant to the suggestion that the FSDOs can add DARs. They can’t.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
There is no limit on I.A.'s. Should also be no limit on Amateur-Built DAR. The concept of volunteer AB-DAR was to support the new Light Sport which was a step from ultralights but still affordable. There should be special simpler volunteer DAR for this affordable class and there isn't.

TFF

DARs inspect and fill the forms out that is required for the system so the FAA doesn’t have to have an employee bogged down with it. Essentially the FAA gets free labor and the DAR gets some free enterprise. They do as little or as many inspections as their time allows. Experimentals are a moonlighting job, not a primary one. Usually a DAR is someone who had the certification for a job who gets the paperwork to go outside a company they work for. I only know of one who did it to primarily do experimentals and was not in the industry, just the hobby side.

The FAA might be “free”, but they are also most likely to make you work for it. Good chance they will find something to “fix” so they can return. A DAR is going to do the job, but they don’t feel that they need to be a super hero to save aviation one bolt at a time. Sometimes it’s better to pay $500 not to be hassled. Won’t get you off the hook for junk, with the DAR, but they tend to “understand” homebuilts.

pittsdriver

I am qualified to be an experimental DAR and we only have one in the area so we could really use one or two more. I talked to my local FSDO and they said they don't have time to oversee any more DARs. They don't do any PPL or PPI rides anymore and getting a Field Approval from them takes an act of God.

Reactions: TFF

Tuneturkey

HBA Supporter
10113, Hyde Park Ct., Baton Rouge, LA 70816
Confusing to say the least!
So how does one find a DAR who will honor EAA's commitment to waive fees? Are all current DAR's doing the experimental and light sport area authorized?
EAA does not acknowledge that there is a list maintained by EAA or FAA, so how and who does one contact to get the ball rolling.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
So how does one find a DAR who will honor EAA's commitment to waive fees?
I think the EAA link is 15 years out of date. We had one volunteer DAR who was tragically killed testing an ultralight 15 years ago at the program beginning. Then none since. Too much trouble.

BJC

HBA Supporter
So how does one find a DAR who will honor EAA's commitment to waive fees?
EAA committed that DAR’s will waive their fees? Citation and context?
Are all current DAR's doing the experimental and light sport area authorized?
There are many DAR certifications. Some are authorized to issue E-AB CoA’s. Some of those who are have chosen not to.
EAA does not acknowledge that there is a list maintained by EAA or FAA, so how and who does one contact to get the ball rolling.
The FAA maintains an on-line list of DAR’s. Search. If you know an EAA tech counselor or homebuilder, ask them for a contact.

BJC