EAA video: members only?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by mcrae0104, Jun 1, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 18, 2019 #141

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

So EAA has Warbirds magazine which is 100% warbirds, I think. EAA has Vintage magazine which is 100% Vintage, I think.
    EAA has the aerobatic magazine, 100% I think.
    Which magazine is 100% Homebuilt?

Charles_says likes this.
  2. Jun 18, 2019 #142

BJC

BJC

BJC

None.

Originally, it was The Experimenter, which became became Sport Aviation, which later, under Mac McClellan, became a waste of paper. (You remember Mac, he is the man who destroyed Flying magazine.) It morphed into a general aviation magazine. There was the second iteration of The Experimenter, which suddenly became that last few pages of Sport Aviation.

Now the homebuilt content is in Budd Davisson’s column, and the how-to videos. The videos are a better media for “how-to” information than written articles. The current version of Sport Aviation makes it the best GA magazine available, and two orders of magnitude better than the second place AOPA Pilot.

I’m guessing that there may be a different opinion somewhere around here.

BJC

Vigilant1 likes this.
  3. Jun 18, 2019 #143

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

None. What's so confusing about this? Haven't we beat this horse to death and clearly discovered there's not enough Homebuilders in 2019 to dedicate a magazine 100% to homebuilding.

If you think somehow that exists than please, by all means, start a magazine. One thing for certain, the EAA has data on the past 50 years of what's changed on the demographics side, they made smart business decisions.

Homebuilders are cheap as cheap gets, how ya gonna support a full magazine 100% to that group? What's your plan?

4. Jun 18, 2019 #144

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

I'm primarily interested in homebuilding, but it doesn't harm me a bit if EAA publishes print magazines for other sub-groups of their membership. Similarly. if EAA chose to put everything in one big magazine, it wouldn't bother me in the least to have to skip the pages that don't interest me. Even the demise of The Experimenter would be no problem to me if EAA continued to publish a lot of good information for homebuilders (in Sport Aviation or elsewhere). And this is where I think EAA is falling short now. I really don't care if the EAA broadens its membership or scope, as long as support to homebuilding improves. I don't know if that is happening, I believe there's a perception that support to homebuilders is declining. Folks look around and blame EAA's interest in these other audiences, but I don't think that's necessarily right. This isn't a zero sum game--more articles/attention to Warbirds needn't reduce attention to homebulding. But there's undoubtedly a common belief that it does.

5. Jun 18, 2019 #145

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Yes. Yes we have. When I started the thread, I sort of expected we would wander from the question of the videos into the usual, broader EAA rants (some well-reasoned and restrained, some perhaps not so much). Oh well.

I really enjoy reading the Sport Aviation archives. I don't care that they're not current--they're still extremely relevant even if some technical progress has been made in the intervening decades. The grass roots, pragmatic approach to lots of those old machines is inspiring. Nobody seemed to need 800 hp or instruments rivaling a spacecraft to have a good time building and flying. It should take me a while to finish the back catalog.

6. Jun 18, 2019 #146

Flow

Flow

Flow

TerryM76 likes this.
  7. Jun 18, 2019 #147

BJC

BJC

BJC

The “Timeless Voices” provides many fascinating accounts of the evolution of aviation.

BJC

Mark Schoening likes this.