EAA video: members only?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by mcrae0104, Jun 1, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 15, 2019 #121

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Seems like a Lotta defensive rhetoric over a $40/ year membership fee.....Join the EAA or Don't....Free choice.
    I think it's well worth the $40/year fee...I support them.
    For those that do not, trashing the EAA's decisions, attempted justification of your dislike, and carping over the removal of "FREE STUFF" is a moot point.
    If a member, contact the EAA, talk to 'em. Write to 'em. Express your opinion. Sometimes change can happen if enough voices are heard.
    If not a member, your opinions are of no consequence. IMHO.

2. Jun 15, 2019 #122

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Yep, $40 is cheap to be able to access all of the benefits.

I can think of another popular website that is mostly free but still has some members only content... HBA. It would be nice to see the HBA SUPPORTER icon below every member’s name who is participating in this debate. Mark and a few others have done their part; let’s all pitch in to support HBA for its continued availability.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

3. Jun 15, 2019 #123

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

When encountered with a problem you have basically two choices, be part of the solution or be part of the problem.

Again........

EAA is moldable, it's shapeable by it's members. What you see is the result of the current state of the marketplace. It's not good or bad, it simply just "is". You can't blame the EAA no more than you could blame a rock for being a rock.

Nobody owes anyone a new airplane for under a $100,000. The EAA has literally zero power over factory costs and liability laws.

Affordable airplanes absolutely positively exist. It's just that the majority of the current market place isn't looking for that. That segment is a minority.

Every month the Sport Aviation magazine comes and it has both expensive airplanes and cheap homebuilts inside. I mean, Jesus people, wake up! Look in the mirror and take responsibility for yourself.

Opportunities are laid in front of you every morning, the EAA isn't in charge of your choices, you are. Make good choices. If you feel aviation needs to go in a different direction then what the hell are you waiting for? Do something about it and stop whining like a little preschooler.

So instead of complaining why aren't you writing posts about what you did today to further aviation? Focus on that instead.

Mark Schoening likes this.
  4. Jun 15, 2019 #124

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Yep, I'm hoping there's a way to sign up for the HBA annual membership without using PayPal. The screens indicate it is possible, but the actual process seems to require establishing a PayPal account. I don't want that.

5. Jun 15, 2019 #125

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I had a pulley question the other day so I started a thread. https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/pulley-clearance-1-8-cable.31772/#post-477008

I got my answer.

Guess what I saw today? EAA has a pulley video in "Hints for Homebuilders" video library. Here's two screen shots.
    Screenshot_20190615-113928.png Screenshot_20190615-113957.png

Once again. Resources are everywhere. Of the video doesn't answer the question guess what? I can call the EAA directly and ask the question and I guarantee you I'll have my answer. Of course, I hang out here and I had my answer immediately.

Regardless, the EAA isn't going to hold your hand and force you. They are trying pretty hard to supply members with value.

bmcj likes this.
  6. Jun 15, 2019 #126

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Exactly. Also, for those complaining, saying that EAA is morally obligated to make all of their how-to videos public because the public videos enhance safety, I ask why they (the complainers) don’t have their own public video channels sharing and ALL of their own tips, tricks and knowledge.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  7. Jun 15, 2019 #127

BJC

BJC

BJC

Some choose to make contributions and remain anonymous.

BJC

8. Jun 17, 2019 #128

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Actually...10,000 people of the OPINION that the EAA is no longer worth supporting is a...$400,000 dollar consequence. EAA supporters keep bringing up "it's only $40," but in reality, MANY more income streams exist, like the airshows, vendors fees, advertisers, the "donate when you die" program, buy a brick, and the list goes on.....all those income streams are being impacted.

9. Jun 17, 2019 #129

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

A gentle correction here...all those income streams WOULD be impacted. If there was a groundswell of members leaving the organization, and I'm not convinced that's happening.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that EAA has fewer advertisers, and, perhaps fewer vendors at Airventure. But we just lost the Light Sport expo at Sebring due to reduced attendance and vendor participation, the Arlington fly-in is switching to a later month to try to win vendors back, and I believe Sun-N-Fun was down as well. I doubt any of this will be due to bad perception of the EAA's actions, especially since none of them are official EAA events.

Ron Wanttaja

10. Jun 17, 2019 #130

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

If true, then those people decided not to join, or fail to maintain membership, have other reasons than loss of "free stuff" ….which is a recent development.
    If you disagree with management, the content, exhibitions, the seminars, the costs of the Air Venture, ...whatever the reason, fine, save the cash don't participate.
    What ever the reason is, the uproar over loss of free video is a somewhat humorous explanation of why one won't join and spend the $40.

bmcj and Little Scrapper like this.
  11. Jun 17, 2019 #131

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

I would think an online only membership option for $20 would get more members.

12. Jun 18, 2019 #132

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

You keep missing the point--it aint about $40! It's about some very well compensated people WHO OWN THE CLUB continuing to scratch nickles out of the volunteers who do it for the love of the sport. Let me ask you this: who OWNS the EAA corporation?

13. Jun 18, 2019 #133

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

We've got a situation where all parties are free to participate or not, yet some people still are embittered and outraged that someone may be taking advantage of someone else.

14. Jun 18, 2019 #134

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Hi Ron, I went to pull year to year membership numbers over the decades and wasn't able to pull them. I'm just home from a pretty invasive surgery and a five day hospital stay. My Googlefoo is weak right now. I was trying to dig up the corporate info as well but simply don't have the energy to do so. I will give it my best shot as I recuperate. I worded my numbers post poorly. I wasn't trying to claim that 10,000 was "the" number, just responding to the concept that people who either don't renew or join, or replace the ones aging out DO have a consequential voice. After reading my post again i realize it isnt conveying that very well. I very much appreciate the gentle re-grounding and

15. Jun 18, 2019 #135

Jerry Fischer

Jerry Fischer

Jerry Fischer

I attended as a volunteer my 25th SNF & it sure looked to me attendance was way UP from the days of John Burton. I will be volunteering again at Airventure in HBC and I personally like the direction EAA has taken over the last 6-8 years since we have gotten back to homebuilding roots. Just MHO

16. Jun 18, 2019 #136

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Absolutely. EAA is definitely getting back to its roots with homebuilding. Some people are just unable to see it but it's clear they are working on it very hard.

bmcj likes this.
  17. Jun 18, 2019 #137

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Putting on a venue that provides desired services and entertainment, as evidenced by the membership, the ever increasing crowds in attendance, and the expanding size of Air-Venture, is Capitalism at it's finest.
    "Build a better Mousetrap, they'll beat a path to your door."
    200,000 members plus, seem to agree.
    Unlike some people, I have no problem with people being "well compensated". I have no problem with volunteering. I have no problem compensating a group for their effort, It's voluntary.
    Don't care who "owns" the EAA. They provide a service I enjoy and participate in.
    "Scratch nickels out of volunteers" …...Really? WOW!

BJC and Little Scrapper like this.
  18. Jun 18, 2019 #138

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

It's impossible to know whether EAA is expanding or contracting; that's not the kind of information they release. The 2018 annual report lists $5,932,962 in "Membership Dues and Subscriptions." If we divide that by $40, that's about 150,000 memberships...but the listed revenue doesn't include life memberships, also includes additional subscriptions to EAA sub-groups, etc. If anyone kept reports from past years, please chime in. We should be able to track this line.

Like the overall US aviation fleet, the number of homebuilt aircraft is decreasing. From a peak of 33,000 in 2011, it's now down to about 26,500. However, much (if not all) of that "decrease" is due to the re-registration policy instituted by the FAA in 2010. Prior to 2010, aircraft were removed from the registry only upon the owner's request Since then, owners must re-register their aircraft every three years, and aircraft that aren't renewed are removed from the registry.

For all we know, there are MORE active homebuilts now than in 2011*. However, I'm a tad skeptical of that. Here's a look at the "completion year" for homebuilts listed on the FAA registry as of 1 January 2019:
    [​IMG]
    From this, it definitely looks like homebuilding peaked in the early 2000s. This is also the period when Light Sport was implemented, so some of the interest in EABs was siphoned off to the Light Sport arena. But Light Sport has been pretty flat since about 2009.
    [​IMG]
    Again, EAA *may* be losing membership. But as the above shows, it would probably be more a reflection of the industry in general than member disgust over certain policies. I think a rank-and-file revolt would be accompanied by a push to stand up an alternative organization. We have seen at least one attempt at this, but it didn't gain much support.

Ron Wanttaja

* The FAA provides an estimate of the active number of aircraft in the GA fleet in the reports on its annual survey. This includes an estimate of the number of active homebuilts. However, the process used was developed prior to the deregistration policy and is now inaccurate.

19. Jun 18, 2019 #139

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

EAA has a large membership because it is mostly focused on GA.
    The Experimenter portion of the magazine is only two pages.

Charles_says likes this.
  20. Jun 18, 2019 #140

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Exactly why it would be foolish to focus on it 100%.