EAA solidworks download

Discussion in 'General Experimental Aviation Questions' started by PTAirco, Jun 13, 2019 at 2:03 AM.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jun 13, 2019 at 2:03 AM #1

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I discovered after rejoining the EAA after many years of absence that they offer a free download of Solidworks. I painfully dug my way through the mess of their webpages (how about a big button that says "DOWNLOAD"?) I signed up for it, got the key etc emailed to me. Somehow I found the the place I can download from (lost it again since) and tried filling in the form with the key. Keep getting "invalid key".

Filled in the request form multiple times since but got no more replies after the first one nor any new key to try.

Has anyone here successfully downloaded this?`

2. Jun 13, 2019 at 2:26 AM #2

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I use it regularly. I correspond with Cory Puuri and he has been very helpful. cpuuri@eaa.org

Bill

3. Jun 13, 2019 at 3:27 AM #3

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I'll try that contact and see what happens.

4. Jun 13, 2019 at 2:50 PM #4

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Tom Nalevanko

Be careful, this student version files can corrupt projects done with the paid version. My pro aero designer friends won’t let me come near them if I admit to using this. Only good for self contained use.
    Best,
    Tom

5. Jun 13, 2019 at 3:21 PM #5

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

There are some limitations too:
    • You can put parts into assemblies but you can not do FEA on assemblies - gotta build everything you want to analyze in one part;
    • FEA is limited to static analysis of stress/FOS/deflections - no Eigen Modes or frequencies that I can find;
    • You do not have all tools - Means of loading and constraining are limited to a modest subset of the full implementation - you can do stuff like build auxilary extensions on your parts to get the loads in and right.
    I still find it quite useful, but not as useful as I was used to out in the professional engineering world. Now if your analysis space is made up of only one material (aluminum or steel are good examples) then you can do FEA. If your materials have the same E but different strengths in different places, you will have to look at stresses manually to check strength and FOS.

Billski

6. Jun 14, 2019 at 5:13 AM #6

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

Got it downloaded. I am not going to go near it until I have a ton a free time and nothing better to do. I remember learning about my first simple CAD program and how it sucked me into 12 hour days stuck in front of the computer, alternately amazed and frustrated until I got the hang of it. I imagine this will be a similar learning experience.

7. Jun 14, 2019 at 10:19 AM #7

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem today as it was back then. We have YouTube and there are plenty of good Solid tutorials.

I too remember those days. Had a pain in my left knee that I couldn't explain back in about '78. It was from setting in front of the green screen monitor poking in Basic on my PMC 80 till 3AM with my leg tucked under the chair.

flyinut likes this.
  8. Jun 14, 2019 at 12:06 PM #8

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

PT,

It is actually pretty easy to model with. Want some example parts to pick through? I have some through analysis...

Bill