EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Wow, nice low number. That is probably close to what my grandfather’s number was. Mine was comparitavely much higher in the mid 40,000’s.
Yep! Got it reinstated at least once. I don’t know if they can still do that.

I remember when Oshkosh WA was in Rockford IL. Flew my Baby Ace there from Mettetal, 1D2, on the west side of Detroit. Probably in 66. Talk about old folks.

cblink.007

Consolidated made two notable aircraft, the PBY and the B-24, the most numerous US bomber in WW II.

Neither was designed using SolidWorks.

BJC
I think I am the last generation to learn drafting by using actual paper of sizes known as "A, B, C, D, and E" and archaic physical things known as "T-Squares", "Dividers", "Triangles", "French Curves" and these three-edged things called "Scales".

Then I remember being introduced to this awesome thing called "AutoCAD 10"!!

Yeap, my freshman HS year in 1993 was boomin!

1Bad88

Could be, I'm senior class of 98 and I learned on a drafting board also. It was a big deal when we got to do a pen and ink drawing for a couple of projects.

REVAN

Good CAD is invaluable if you are going to design something like an aircraft. Solid Works is the new AutoCAD; once the best of the best, but now dated.

I'm using SpaceClaim and I've been happy with my decision. It has proven to be a very powerful and intuitive CAD package. I'm only using the CAD, but it can also be used for much more as well. It's an Ansys product, and is nicely integrated to work with the Ansys FEM analysis tools for structural, thermal and CFD analysis. Also, it can integrate with Matlab and Simulink for dynamic simulations.

IMO: If you are going to be a designer, spend the money needed to get the right tools for the job.

Wanttaja

My class in engineering school was the last that was required to use only slide rules on tests.

Sure, companies like Boeing didn't use computer-aided tools until a few decades ago. But they were more dependent on a small cadre of *extremely* smart engineers, the kind that could design an entire aircraft with all its component parts fitting properly. Modern tools open up the design world to the merely intelligent, rather than the unspeakably brilliant.

Ron "Not quite intelligent enough" Wanttaja

rotax618

The question is how many use a sophisticated CAD program for your hobby on a regular enough basis to justify either spending hundreds on a licence or a stiff annual subscription. Most mechanical CAD is used for CAM - CNC, Sheetmetal or 3D printing. Although we all dream of producing a complete 3D model of our dream airplane right down to the last rivet, including a computer generated stress analysis, for most of us the reality is to design fittings that can be CNC or Waterjet cut. Open source and very cheap software can provide these features.
Kelly Johnson had hundreds of detail draftsmen (draftpersons) to do the detail drawings for his creations, with the advent of CAD lots lost their jobs, thats the way it goes.

Steve C

I'm going to give the new one a shot. I hate that it's web based, but I blew my opportunity to learn SW when I had the thing on my computer.

I use Rhino and it's so different I have no clue where to start with SW. It's pretty frustrating.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I am looking at the cost not from what it is but what it would have to be if I relied on it. I mean if I actually got "over the hump" so to speak and it started making more sense and idea's took form, to push those idea's forward what does that cost? And who's idea's are they then? Of course there is that considering it is aviation we are talking about maybe if the idea's belong to someone else it is a good thing? I can draw with a drafting board just fine, and stuff I like comes from that era, so maybe it is best to do what I know. I just like the 3-D stuff pops out of the drawings off the computer when you learn how to properly loft.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I'm going to give the new one a shot. I hate that it's web based, but I blew my opportunity to learn SW when I had the thing on my computer.

I use Rhino and it's so different I have no clue where to start with SW. It's pretty frustrating.
If you have three views of a fuselage, and the nose of all three views starts at the same point say the origin for example and they are all the same length then you can define stations. Each station in respect for each view would be an equal distance from the origin and be the distance for the front view at that station, but would be x distance wide in the top view and x distance tall in the side view. You put in the numbers for all the stations and then you loft. So if you did it right it looks like a fuselage. Mine are lumps. Yep it is frustrating. I have figured out it isn't all me some of it is the graphics card I have in my computer is not supported by Solidworks so essentially "garbage in garbage out" also student version doesn't support everything either so more "garbage in garbage out" so what I end up with is garbage. So it takes a larger financial investment just to push the test button and see "if I am smart enough" to get results with a fully functional system. That could be a waste of money.

rotax618

In some Cad programs a smooth loft requires that the sections have the same number of nodes or that the sections have simple geometric edges, you can imagine the loft consists of invisible stringers, if the stringers cross it gets lumpy. Try that.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I use SW and it's so different I have no clue where to start with Rhino. It's pretty frustrating. At least Rhino 4 was cheap............with the student discount. Never got past the little duck tutorial.
2 different ways of looking at the world. :confused:

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
How many users of the free EAA version actually had the skills to use CFD or FEA and get meaningful results?
I have been using it for FEA. Useful tool.

I have to convert a bunch of files into drawings with all dimensions so I can still have what I have made ready...

Billski

Mad MAC

I've always used Autodesk products for my work. For what it is worth, take a look at https://www.procadis.com/licenses/ . You can get an unused/obsolete seat license for an Autodesk product very inexpensively. For example, I was able to upgrade my older software to AutoCAD 2021 easily, and also have Autodesk Inventor 2017. For a more basic (but very useful) version, you can get AutoCAD LT 2014 on this site for $99.95. The ones I got were a direct download...not a subscription, but if you want the latest & greatest, it will have to be a subscription. I'm no fan of software subscriptions...

I did alot of research on what I saw on this site. Yes, the licenses sold are genuine; these are not pirated copies.
Thats a great find, AutoCAD LT 2014 will run rings around draftsight (if only for the 2nd moment of area function). I can't say I like inventor but an order of magnicude cost reduction from solidworks means I can probably live with it. I once worked a job were for 6 months all i did was convert 2D drawings to modeled up assemblys (20 to 30 parts day plus assembly's), tends to be a tad habit forming.

rotax618

For those who would like to try Freecad, there is a “bug” in the main branch of the program that can cause new users problems unless you are aware of it and know the rules to circumvent it, it is known as ”topological naming problem” without a lengthy explanation it is caused when an added feature which is referenced to previous feature which is later deleted then the model can break and require repair - fortunately there is a version of Freecad called the “Reathunder branch” that has fixed this problem. The “Realthunder“ branch is currently being merged into the main branch and is available on github for free download.

jandetlefsen

HBA Supporter
As per the Solidworks website:
3. Is 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers available for users worldwide?
Currently this offer is available for purchase with a billing address within the following countries: Algeria, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Morocco, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States. More countries will be added soon.
Since this is only a discount on the Solidworks offer i guess if you are not i the list of those countries you get nothing?