EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
I have no idea how to us SW, but if I did, 50 bucks a year for that kind of capability just doesn't seem expensive, in today's money.......
Just my 2c

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Just when I was thinking about purchasing a lifetime membership to the EAA this happens.
I wish they would get rid of the gingerbread with the lifetime membership. I don't need (or want) a jacket, plaque, pin, or ID card. Get rid of that stuff so I'm not paying for useless clutter with my donation.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The free SW was a nice thing. At this point it is logical to wonder if getting a lot of folks ”invested" in SW and then charging for it was always the intent of Dassault. A user who has learned the software and has a bunch of projects created in it will be resistant to jumping ship. Still, $50/yr apparently is seen by many as a good deal for this software. We'll see how long it stays at that price.

JMyers1

There were a lot of people that have no interest in aviation buying an EAA membership just for the software. Maybe that had something to do with it.

The bigger news is this drops the software from Premium (which is what the education version is) to Pro, which is significant. I had been learning CFD and this is now not available. It also has limited FEA functionality, it seems this is now just a basic cad program.

it looks like buying the CFD simulation is a whopping $14,000, which effectively means no home builders can use CFD anymore. I don’t know why they’d do this given outside of patey I can’t imagine they would lose one sale.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
There are plenty of ways to do CFD open source. But they ain't easy to use. $50 a year for any engineering software is pretty cheap. Fusion is currently pushing $1000 for three years license. For that capability it is really a bargain. Unfortunately it doesn't dial into hardware as well as some others but it is VERY capable for a one or a few man shop. It would be nice if there was a fully open source open architecture solution for Linux. There are some but most are really hard to deal with. It all depends on what you are trying to do with all these sorts of tools.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The free SW was a nice thing. At this point it is logical to wonder if getting a lot of folks ”invested" in SW and then charging for it was always the intent of Dassault. A user who has learned the software and has a bunch of projects created in it will be resistant to jumping ship.
It's why Autocad wasn't copy protected at first... it's also why Autocad stayed popular long after there was much better software available, because everybody knew how to use it from their pirate copy.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
How many users of the free EAA version actually had the skills to use CFD or FEA and get meaningful results?
Probably few, and if so it wasn't costing DS very much in lost sales. But I'll bet quite a few users jumped on the Solidworks train because they anticipated (dreamed?) that they'd someday need and be able to use CFD and FEA at a low price. That inducement is gone.

Last edited:

Alessandre

It seems that the greed bug has stung them and now they have created a system where they can use other people's work for their profit as intellectual property will circulate freely in a cloud. My advice is to convert everything you have to formats like IGES or STEP and look for a cheap compatible cad like Rhino, solid edge or even this Freecad that looks pretty good.

ToddK

HBA Supporter
I downloaded it, and messed around with it. I 100% will never rent software if there is workable alternative. Being pretty distrustful of things that are "free", I chose not to invest time in learning soildworks and instead purchased QCAD. A lovely and fairly simple 2D program with excellent documentation. My primary goal was to easily create some very clean drawings, and files that could be sent for CNC cutting, and a few full size drawings that can be used to build on. Alibre Cad will be my next purchase for 3D modeling, but I am not in a hurry with that.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Solid Edge isn't cheap; it's a close competitor to Solidworks at about the same price point.

Wanttaja

double threads running on this
It's amusing... 1bad88 and I started our separate threads within one minute of each other. I guess bad news DOES travel fast....

Mods can shut down this thread....

Ron Wanttaja