EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
I've only used one of their keys - Linux doesn't need them - but it legit worked perfectly, full retail version. Works anywhere as far as I know.
For me also, price matched value.

As I understand it, they are resold keys that were bundled and not used elsewhere etc.
You can download the actual Windows install image from Microsoft directly.

AeroER

Daussault probably made a decision to charge for SOLIDWORKS to offset the cost of support of individuals without an IT department.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Daussault probably made a decision to charge for SOLIDWORKS to offset the cost of support of individuals without an IT department.
It isn't that they charge, it is that they charge and want to own your thoughts and idea's too. Not that I have any thoughts or idea's that are necessarily worth anything it just goes against the grain so to speak.

AeroER

I agree about the IP issue. I deleted a comment with another opinion about Daussault that comes from my experience with Unigeaphics, NX, and CATIA (spit).

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I will mourn the loss of SolidWorks here. It is a great tool and I am fluent in it.

I experimented with FreeCad and Alibre, and then inquired of what was in the SolidWorks package we are being offered. Got zero from SW, did not like FreeCad and I like Alibre. I believe I am past needing any FEA, so SolidWorks is not essential to me now. Bought Alibre Atom 3D on special. All of my SW files transfer as dumb solids into Alibre, I can create new files or edit to add features to them in Alibre, it builds assemblies nicely, and can convert surfaces to .dfx files for Front Panel Express or loading into CNC routers. That looks like my solution. YMMV.

Billski

tallank

From my SW Distributor:

SOLIDWORKS Edu. Edition Stand-alone (perpetual)

As the preferred option, we recommend choosing the smaller Installation Manager download, and when running it choose the Download and Share option (active support subscription required) which unpacks as it downloads. That way, should the download time out, the next attempt resumes where the previous attempt left off.

If choosing the full download, then please use the 7-zip utility Download to extract the files from the downloads, rather than using WinZip, to avoid corruptions.

Once Download and Share has completed (or the full download has been extracted), right-click the setup.exe file and choose Run as Administrator.

SOLIDWORKS Installation Quick Reference

Prepare

☐ Download installation files through a SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal account

☐ Log into Windows as the Local Administrator account (ensure full local permissions)

☐ Temporarily Disable Antivirus/Antispyware

Install

☐ Run ‘Setup.exe’ from the downloaded folder

• Select ‘Individual Installation’ and include any applicable serial numbers

• NOTE: Serial number should only be entered once (i.e. SOLIDWORKS Premium serial number

is only added in the top SOLIDWORKS boxes, not required to enter again in the Simulation box)

☐ Select Products to Install, Download Options, Installation Location and Toolbox Options

• Click ‘Change’ beside any category to customize

☐ Click ‘Install Now’ to begin installation

Activate

☐ Launch SOLIDWORKS and follow prompts to Activate

Upgrade Graphics Card Driver

☐ Install graphics card driver certified by SOLIDWORKS

I have idea what you are talking about. I have the EAA version. The loader hangs and I can not get any further. I been at it for months now with no idea where to get any help.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
did not like FreeCad and I like Alibre. I believe I am past needing any FEA, so SolidWorks is not essential to me now. Bought Alibre Atom 3D on special. All of my SW files transfer as dumb solids into Alibre, I can create new files or edit to add features to them in Alibre, it builds assemblies nicely, and can convert surfaces to .dfx files for Front Panel Express or loading into CNC routers. That looks like my solution. YMMV.
I am it developer and always do not liked autocad or solidwork - not convienent / too bulky. One reason - i jumped into it in a late stage.

Where free cad was build by developers for developers. Yes, that parametric thing is different to autocads, but i find it easier than old autocad way.

Plus all export possibilities ar huge to say at least + g code generator coud be twicked by simple python infinitelly.

Samo for other stuff - if you know python, you could make your own modules fast and easy way..

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
How can that be if the network versions are more expensive both for initial purchase and for support contracts?

AeroER

How can that be if the network versions are more expensive both for initial purchase and for support contracts?
Endless phone calls and email from EAA users that aren't able to sort through the set up.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Reply;

Started with P. 1, I am now watching P.5.

This series is for the true beginner (like me) and walks you through the process with the why. (It doesn't start with Parametric modeling).

So he is looking for support, I'm considering 5 bucks a month I think he is worth it. Also Realthunder is looking for support and I am thinking 5 bucks a month for him too again because he is worth it. So that would be 120 bucks a year for a cad solution that is about as private as it gets through the internet, not free but what is.

How To Do Parametric Modeling In FreeCAD | The Realthunder Branch | P. 5 - YouTube
So after finishing P. 5 looked for P. 6, there ain't one. So he only explains FreeCad for the 5 lessons (really well) but the reason he explains FreeCad is to use it in Blender (another free opensource designer software). It isn't clear to me at this point whether Blender would or would not be useful for aircraft design, but the biggest drawback might be that Blender has a hard time with chamfers and blending curves which is the reason he also uses FreeCad I.E. for those parts like the intersection of two pieces of tubing were the blending of the surfaces is difficult in Blender he imports a 3D drawing of a tubing intersection from FreeCad into Blender and "tada". I am wondering if wing shapes and blends like wheel pants into landing gear would be problematic?
Anyway I found the P.1 to P.5 useful but after a few videos of the Blender thing I think it is for me the wrong direction and back FreeCad.

cblink.007

All, with respect to an alternative from SolidWorks, being a lifelong AutoCAD addict, if you choose to go this path, DO NOT try buying an "expired license" from a site called www (dot) procadis (dot) .com . A colleague tried to get a copy of AutoCAD 2017 recently; although the transaction seemed to go well, to include the download of the software, upon opening it, he discovered it was a restricted 30-day trial version. Although the product key was accurate with that version of AutoCAD 2017, the serial number to 'unlock' the software was no good. When he tried to contact this vendor, e-mails were pushed back and the phone number did not work. I suggested it may have been a scam (Autodesk does not recognize this vendor), and fortunately, his bank was able to block the transaction just in time.

Depending on what some of you are doing, I would recommend AutoCAD LT 2022; it is a subscription (just like SW), and it is about $1,100 for a 3-year seat license ($440 for one year), complete with full technical support, mobile apps, name it. This version is far better than the AutoCAD 2005 I did my project design work (to date) on, and is capable of some 3D parametric modeling- enough to carry over to another application for more advanced VLM/FEA studies.

If you plan to do serious design work, you simply have to pay for the right software.

I won't lie when I say that I am not all sharp on 3D modeling...yet, but will take some training early next year when I have some time. All said, it is unfortunate that EAA no longer offers even the limited version; it was fun to play with!

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
It isn't clear to me at this point whether Blender would or would not be useful for aircraft design,
IMHO - no. Ditto zBrush. I've done enough in Blender to think it may help with some 3D printing of free form organic shapes. For that I'm still considering some more time on the learning curve, but I dont' see much application to aircraft design.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Yes, I got sidetracked to Blender because Jonathans 5 part FreeCad was so good and as it turns out he was using an intro into FreeCad to accomplish more in Blender not vice versa. He also has a excellent video on "why FreeCad is broken" FreeCAD Is Fundamentally Broken! - Now what... Help Me Decide... - Bing video . This video explains a fundamental "BUG" in FreeCad that "I believe" will go away at least in any significant way. And anyway if you are aware of it then you can avoid it.

rotax618

The Realthunder branch fixes the topological naming issues in the main branch, the branches are being merged at the moment, I use Realthunder’s version and have found it bug free with a much more adaptable interface.
The Curves and Surfaces Workbenches are useful for creating parametric 3D shapes useful for aircraft, boat and car design.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Thinking that moving forward in metric may be advisable at least for some I made a chart to help conceptualize the size of things.
It is interesting how the number "5" relates from empirical to metric. 5/64", 5/32", 5/16", 5/8" are all within a few thousands of an inch or less regards there whole number metric counterpart and 5 inches and any multiple of 5 inches is within less than a thousand of a inch out to over 25 feet and just over a thousand of an inch out to 50 feet. So a 5 foot wing chord is 1524mm within 0.00012" well inside the capabilities of most people and machines.

image_2021-12-09_110555.png

This is just help conceptualize as I think in emperial.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Hi for all. Found some solution for 2d/3d truss solving :

1639073153378.png
1639073203964.png

1639073274322.png
1639073304359.png

Easy to use, and you can find it here : EasyCiv App

I was able to find a deflection, strain in all elements. Still no luck finding failure criteria or buckling one.. But having this one solved all is left is Euler column buckling to find suitable tubes for your application...

cblink.007

Well fam, given that I just found out that I cannot loft anything in AutoCAD LT, even the 2022 version, on a whim, I downloaded FreeCAD. Just playing around with it, I managed to do a couple sample flat wrap lofts with what appears to be success, and more importantly, ease. Still have alot more learning to do on this software, but it looks to have what I have been looking for for a while. I can even import 3d products from other applications (ie Inventor, SW, etc). More to follow!

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Btw - while playing with online truss solver, i was able find another big plus in freecad parametric drawing way. It is wery easy for graphical truss solving. Just add some parallel or eqeal lenght parameters for you dub drawings and voila. Tested with some examples from sport pilot magazine - nice and steady result. Just if you want to stay pure, and solve all by your own :)