EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Woodenwings

Hi there!
I am looking after kiddies etc. If i have skimmed your comments too lightly and misunderstood i apologise in advance.

There are perpetual liscences for SW Education. I purchase those every 5 years or so. Technically they don't expire. I do find that my workstation gets "old" and when it does need replacing i usually get a newer licence of SW Education.

SW is backwards compatable. You can open old files without concern. It isnt forward compatable. E.g. a 2015 licence wont open 2020 files.

I dont like cloud based stuff. OnShape allows you to cave a crap computer instead of a worstation. Better have a fast internet connection.

SW need a good computer. It dosn't have to be a workstation. A workstation is best. Having a dedicated video card from their approved list is the most important bit if kit. High polygon count over speed. Gaming cards are not the same. SW has an approved list to work from. Historically Dell and HP workstations are best.

4k for a laptop is spendy though!

I have to use Onshape right now at work as well as SW. Onshape is total balls. I hate it.

If you can convince SW that you are part of an established learning centre like a school or maker group....you might convince them to sell you the perpetual liscence for about $400.00

I can install my perpetual licence on 7 machines. So....on in the office, one in the shop, one with the assistant etc.

Scottiniowa

Hi there!
I am looking after kiddies etc. If i have skimmed your comments too lightly and misunderstood i apologise in advance.

There are perpetual liscences for SW Education. I purchase those every 5 years or so. Technically they don't expire. I do find that my workstation gets "old" and when it does need replacing i usually get a newer licence of SW Education.

SW is backwards compatable. You can open old files without concern. It isnt forward compatable. E.g. a 2015 licence wont open 2020 files.

I dont like cloud based stuff. OnShape allows you to cave a crap computer instead of a worstation. Better have a fast internet connection.

SW need a good computer. It dosn't have to be a workstation. A workstation is best. Having a dedicated video card from their approved list is the most important bit if kit. High polygon count over speed. Gaming cards are not the same. SW has an approved list to work from. Historically Dell and HP workstations are best.

4k for a laptop is spendy though!

I have to use Onshape right now at work as well as SW. Onshape is total balls. I hate it.

If you can convince SW that you are part of an established learning centre like a school or maker group....you might convince them to sell you the perpetual liscence for about $400.00

I can install my perpetual licence on 7 machines. So....on in the office, one in the shop, one with the assistant etc.
Not sure if this will work, but going to affirm or "correct to my understanding" some of these things that are often asked. Woodenwings, you mention Perpetual Liscences out there for SW education Please do tell? And these are the latest?

Certainly true on backward compatible, but for newbies, this means you can load older files created in SW's, ie, parts, assemblies, drawings, but if you save them, they will be saved in the latest format (year or name of your current SW program, never to be reopened by your OLD SW program.

ONSHAPE - I guess the jury is out on "cloud storing" But there some extremely sophisticated things being done by Onshape users and stored on the cloud, like I say, this pro/con thing will be deliberated for a few years, but am guessing it may be the future.

Computer requirements for SolidWorks, it is true that Size and configurations recommended are pretty spot on, but.....depending on your complexity, the lower end of recommendations work well, and do so for well below the 4K limit..But like said, More Power is almost always better. :)

TWO for ONE computer, I have found that it is pretty hard to have a older version Say SW16, and then load up SW20 and have them both work properly, there are some really deep core reasons, but just tossing this out. (not a solution, just letting it be known)

Just tossing out some things, not saying anyone is wrong .
Best of success.

Woodenwings

I like it when people tell me im wrong!
Keeps me on my toes.

Mixing licences is daft. But it can happen if you have clients on different platforms. I export to generic cadd files for users that will have compatability problems. Different version od SW (newer or older) or different cadd software.

Cloudbased is problematic....imagine the industrial espionage issues.

Not for me!

Woodenwings

From my SW Distributor:

SOLIDWORKS Edu. Edition Stand-alone (perpetual)

As the preferred option, we recommend choosing the smaller Installation Manager download, and when running it choose the Download and Share option (active support subscription required) which unpacks as it downloads. That way, should the download time out, the next attempt resumes where the previous attempt left off.

If choosing the full download, then please use the 7-zip utility Download to extract the files from the downloads, rather than using WinZip, to avoid corruptions.

Once Download and Share has completed (or the full download has been extracted), right-click the setup.exe file and choose Run as Administrator.

SOLIDWORKS Installation Quick Reference

Prepare

☐ Download installation files through a SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal account

☐ Log into Windows as the Local Administrator account (ensure full local permissions)

☐ Temporarily Disable Antivirus/Antispyware

Install

☐ Run ‘Setup.exe’ from the downloaded folder

• Select ‘Individual Installation’ and include any applicable serial numbers

• NOTE: Serial number should only be entered once (i.e. SOLIDWORKS Premium serial number

is only added in the top SOLIDWORKS boxes, not required to enter again in the Simulation box)

☐ Select Products to Install, Download Options, Installation Location and Toolbox Options

• Click ‘Change’ beside any category to customize

☐ Click ‘Install Now’ to begin installation

Activate

☐ Launch SOLIDWORKS and follow prompts to Activate

Upgrade Graphics Card Driver

☐ Install graphics card driver certified by SOLIDWORKS

Woodenwings

Another smart practice is to ditch the "command manager" option that is default with SW. Set up your own set of toolbars that relate to the work you do. organise it based on workflow. add and subtract, move and rearrange toolbars to suit you. save the settings with the "copy settings wizard" i make these files revision controlled and read-only.

the command manager is total balls. it wastes time like CATIA V4 or AUTOCAD 12 used to in the day where you drill down to get to commands.
I have a big enough screen i can afford to use it for toolbars etc!

1638676098179.png

rotax618

Until the Realthunder branch is integrated into the main branch of Freecad, installation involves downloading the zip, unzip it to a folder, navigate to the /bin folder right click/left click the FreeCADLink.exe file send to Desktop (create shortcut).
You only have to click on that icon to run the program. When you have it running, click on the Tools menu - Preset Configuration - and select the Overlay theme - I suggest the dark theme, it gives the most screen realestate (you can make the dropdown toolbars transparent and auto hide)
There are Youtube videos to change any other setting using the EDIT - Preferences. You can select the units the starting workbench, the navigation method (Cad/Blender/OpenInventor/Revit/Touchpad/openCascade etc..) I suggest Gesture (it is the most intuitive).
64B2FDB9-081F-4758-BB57-AAF587E4830F.png

blane.c

Until the Realthunder branch is integrated into the main branch of Freecad, installation involves downloading the zip, unzip it to a folder, navigate to the /bin folder right click/left click the FreeCADLink.exe file send to Desktop (create shortcut).
You only have to click on that icon to run the program. When you have it running, click on the Tools menu - Preset Configuration - and select the Overlay theme - I suggest the dark theme, it gives the most screen realestate (you can make the dropdown toolbars transparent and auto hide)
There are Youtube videos to change any other setting using the EDIT - Preferences. You can select the units the starting workbench, the navigation method (Cad/Blender/OpenInventor/Revit/Touchpad/openCascade etc..) I suggest Gesture (it is the most intuitive).
View attachment 118741
Nothing in Tools looks like Preset Configuration. image_2021-12-05_074557.png

Urquiola

I've purchased a Rhino, downloaded also FreeCAD, but not worked yet with any. Thanks for your tips. Blessings +

blane.c

Reply;

Started with P. 1, I am now watching P.5.

This series is for the true beginner (like me) and walks you through the process with the why. (It doesn't start with Parametric modeling).

So he is looking for support, I'm considering 5 bucks a month I think he is worth it. Also Realthunder is looking for support and I am thinking 5 bucks a month for him too again because he is worth it. So that would be 120 bucks a year for a cad solution that is about as private as it gets through the internet, not free but what is.

How To Do Parametric Modeling In FreeCAD | The Realthunder Branch | P. 5 - YouTube

rv7charlie

Well, shucks.
On a Win7 64 bit computer with 8GB ram and ~90GB free space on the hard drive that has run both EAA Solidworks and Fusion 360 without errors:

When I run Realthunder, it seems to load fine, but as soon as I try to open anything (one of the sample files, or a new document) I get a popup message saying that the core program had an error, and Windows will close the program and try to find a solution. (No solution is found.) Clicking 'close' in the popup closes the program.

So I downloaded the Freecad installation file and did the normal windows installation. After installation, the program loads, but I get the same error when I try open a document.

Did an 'uninstall', reran the installation .exe file in 'run as administrator' mode. Same results.

Anything obvious I might be doing wrong?

rotax618

I suppose, it has the same drivers.
I think Win 7 is unfortunately becoming more problematic as the hardware vendors cease support. To my mind it has been the best “Windows” implementation - Microsoft are making you buy a newer computer to run Win 11. Linux is looking more attractive.

rv7charlie

Yeah, I'm thinking that as well. The W is the path of least resistance for normal use, and I'd just convert to W10/11 if purchasing the operating system wasn't so expensive. I might just buy a used W10 desktop (not much more expensive than a copy of Windows), & convert one of my Win7 machines to Linux.

rv7charlie

Hmmm. That's about what Win10 is worth, I suppose, but it's not what MS *says* it's worth. Given that fact, is this a black/grey market thing? Or are they legit resellers who buy actual licenses in bulk like the computer refurbishers? Assuming they're legit, will the license work here in the USA? Is it an 'upgrade' license, or a full 'retail' installation?

Thanks,

Charlie