EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Geraldc

Maybe try running the FeeCADLink.exe file in the bin directory as an administrator.
Tried that, tried both downloads for windows, stable and daily. I get the same error for some missing .dll file . Oh well.
Got that message too
Realthunder would not install for me so I installed freecad and after it was working got Realthunder installed .
When I first installed Freecad nothing worked until eventually I changed the mouse settings at bottom right of screen.
1631325260889.png

cheapracer

Log Member
I still use Sketchup, don't care what anyone says. I think many scoff at Sketchup because it's isn't complicated and hard enough to use, good luck with that ...

I also use LibreCAD for all my finalised 2D stuff, after I transfer it from Sketchup because Sketchup doesn't do true circles. It's so simple to use.

libre.jpg

rotax618

Freecad does everything that Sketchup and Librecad does and much more, it has a slightly steeper learning curve but the benefits of learning a parametric design program far outweigh the effort.
I find the Gesture navigation mode is the most intuitive in Freecad.
I generate most of the Gcode to run my CNC in Freecad, and all of the STL files for my 3D printer. Freecad produces accurate Orthographic 3 View Drawings and DXF files from 3D parts with a click of the mouse.
The methods and techniques you use in Freecad are transportable to other parametric CAD systems, I have no problems using Fusion360, I just prefer Freecad.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I've just been doodling with freecad on occasion (tree fell on house in June so been busy with that).

So today I tried to "save as" and it is trying to save in paint (ms 10) and of course that is just weird. Any suggestions on how to get freecad to save into a file on ms 10 that freecad can retrieve later? Or any workaround that works.

sming

What ? Not sure what you are trying to do? If you need a file to use somewhere else, like a step file for cutting, use "export", if you want a flat picture to post on the forum, use "Tools > save picture". Save As save the current project to a new freecad file, which for some reason is using a file extension associated with paint on your system?

rotax618

Sounds like a problem with file associations, what version of Freecad are you using?
If you want to save in a non-native Freecad format, you use export. If you want to keep editing the file, just save the file and it will be in the Freecad native format .fcd.
If you want to say 3d print your model, export it as an .stl, if you need it for CAM, create an .nc file in the Path workbench.
If you need a dimensioned 3 view plan use the Tech Draw workbench and print it as a .pdf.

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
0.19 realthunder I cant make it quit, it defaults to opening the file with paint and paint of course wont open it. I've deleted the file and the folder and it still does same thing trying to open it without a folder or with new folder. It is some senseless loop.

Baseprofile.

Baseprofile shot 2.jpg Baseprofile shot.jpg

Last edited:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
This is not a fault of FreeCAD, this is your Operating System trying to open the file with the wrong program.
Try opening the file from inside FreeCAD, rather than your file explorer.

Dillpickle

I say use the simplest tool that gets the job done.

Many staggeringly great things have been accomplished with crude tools. Also, many great things have failed to have been accomplished with staggeringly great tools.
Buddy...that response up there needs to be the first paragraph in every single engineering book on the planet.

Deuelly

Log Member
Right click on the file in file explorer. Click on "open file with". Select FreeCAD. Select the box that says use this program for all this file type. Select ok. It may be worded a little differently but I should be close.

Brandon

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Voidhawk9; You are correct it opens in freecad. It still doesn't seem right that it sits in the file with a paint icon attributed to it. I don't like it, it makes me think it is a vapor file or something. It is untrustworthy.

rotax618

Since Realthunder Freecad is not “installed” it has no file associations, you can change this manually.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Yeah, I find Windows rather untrustworthy also! I use it as little as possible.
I would like to have a pure Linux to stand alone with freecad at this point, and do my surfin' on this one. Hmmm, maybe Santa's in a good mood this year? To poke the bear or not to poke the bear that is the question.

pfarber

If you have the need for CAD work $50 for an industry standard program WITH SUPPORT is a no brainer.

Not to start a flame war, but most free/FOSS software is just not worth the time. I've run linux since the mid-90s and my IT career was RHEL / AIX centered. Linux is not unix, and relying on basically uni student projects for important things usually ends up poorly. The number of FOSS apps (and even ones I paid for) that I had to simply give up is staggering.

The second someone says 'LibreOffice is just as good as MS Office' just walk away.

rotax618

Millions of open source software users would disagree with you, software is a tool and if the tool accomplishes the task then that is all thats required, It is a bonus if it costs nothing. If you write the odd letter, and use a spreadsheet to balance your accounts, Open Office is all that is required.
Linux isn’t Unix, how many home computers use Unix?
If you only want to go to the corner shop, a Chevy Spark is as good as a Rolls Royce.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
FreeCad thing is absolutely briliant. Force myself to learn it. And yes, that parametric one thing to love it for, but it is a no-no for non developers..

On the other hand - it have plenty of free FEA modules, someone tries to connect NASTRAN. And if it is not working now - it will work someday in future.

And - it is possible to use it as full stack software from idea to G code for you cnc lathe..
Designed:
1638523174400.png
Covered foam for lost foam casting
1638524327780.png
Casted:
1638524381580.png
Machined:
1638526608307.png
1638524429745.png

Last edited: