EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Extracted to a folder on my desk top, moved (copy/paste) the files to my D drive, built a shortcut to D:\RealThunder FreeCAD\FreeCAD-asm3-Daily-Win64-Py3-Qt5-20210717\bin\FreeCADLink.exe"
Didn't mess around with it but it opens for me. Even snagged a couple of my *.stl files (?!?) for the first screen. They open just fine. My 3D mouse works too - but I'll have to reset the speed and sensitivity.
WIN 8.1

rotax618

You use the Mesh Workbench to work with STL files, I usually cut them using the Part workbench - there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube to manipulate and edit meshes in Freecad.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
I'll try again. I think I tried to install the ASM3 first. I'll get it. My software engineer wife laughs at me when I can't deal with Github :)

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
My software engineer wife laughs at me when I can't deal with Github :)
Github is a different dialect of Geek. Add in the authors accent and it does throw those of us that started with BASIC, DOS and config/bat files a few curves.

Life was once simple .....................

Dusan

Has anybody experience in openVSP? It's a NASA development for initial aircraft analysis. From the website: "OpenVSP is a parametric aircraft geometry tool. OpenVSP allows the user to create a 3D model of an aircraft defined by common engineering parameters. This model can be processed into formats suitable for engineering analysis."

OpenVSP

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I spent some time with Open VSP about a year ago. I found it interesting and some what useful. I would not consider it a CAD tool as it is not for design work.

The program generates a wire frame of the configuration and does a basic CFD analysis. It appears to be slowly developed to include more functions.

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
That realthunder branch just isn't running for me. I managed to install openfoam in the official release. Would be nice to go to this new interface. But no joy here. Moving on.

rotax618

You can change the interface in the main branch of freecad, if you have a look at those youtube videos Just the same way.

Last edited:

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
Tried that, tried both downloads for windows, stable and daily. I get the same error for some missing .dll file . Oh well.
It looks like FC is Python based? Your anti-virus software might be eating a file needed to run Python. I've run into similar in the past.

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, I'll try a download under extreme openness :) I have had similar problems with other fringy software... Truth is I use W10 security pretty much as is. I have a hardware firewall in my router which seems to work well.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, I'll try a download under extreme openness :)
💀 !
It will probably be okay.
FWIW, the "stock" Windows 10 protections seem to be working well for me, though I don't engage in particularly risky online behavior.

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
That just got me to the next .dll that it couldn't find. What forum are you looking at? I tried to find reference to these sorts of issues last night to no avail.

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
Got it. Just went to the MS site and started downloading latest versions of missing link libraries and suffered through. Runs now.

Sooooooo user friendly :)

sming

Thats a Windows issue not a software issue. I've been downloading missing dll since I've staryed using a computer (just type the name in google) And there you are dissing Linux for its complexity ;)
Good software, its hard. Time to accept that every platform will have pain points. If you don't want to fiddle it's okay :)
Hope you will find some interesting things in freecad. The more the users, the more the chance it will improve. Look at Blender, started as quirky 3d modeler and became industry standard.
With the renting software business and disgruntled fusion360 hobbyists, freecad is our best hope!