EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hephaestus

Hephaestus, I really don’t know what you are doing, if you run the Real thunder branch it has all of the main workbenches installed, Fem is one of them. It doesn’t ask for librarys or dependencies or anything else. You can create a bracket in Part Design, switch to Fem, create a mesh surface with either the Netgen mesher or Gmsh mesher.
So back to linux style - you need to know which distribution to get? You're right I didn't get realthunder - downloaded the primary version from freecadweb.org... You'd still think basic functionality would be included in the primary distribution.

rotax618

I always thought it did, I don’t use Fem, and I have been using the realthunder version for some time now. When you said that you had trouble I tried it with my version - obviously it worked. The Realthunder branch is being merged into the main branch, I’m told.
Have a look at the youtube tutorial, I think that will answer some of your questions.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I've heard frequently that Linux is far less resource intensive than Windows. While I'm not looking forward to learning a new OS, I wonder if buying a cheap computer (used CAD workstation with graphics card and generous memory?) and starting with a fresh Linux install and FreeCAD and using it as a dedicated CAD computer might not be an economical and long-term stable way to go.

I suppose I could do the same thing with Windows and have less of a learning curve, but eventually Windows 10 will be superceded.
I wouldn't be shocked if the next Windows is subscription only ('Windows365”, or Windows 11+, etc). At that point, I'd have to pay for the subscription and I'd think open source software might have a hard time keeping up with Microsoft's more frequent/continuous changes to a subscription OS.

Last edited:

rotax618

Windows 11 is out now for free download (if you have win10) the problem is most CPUs aren’t suitable, they have to be very late generation with a certain type of security feature.
I do quite complex drawings with freecad on an old Gen4 or 5, I3 cpu and 8 gig of ram and 1 TB SSD , win10. It is not lightening fast but it works fine. I have used it on a Celeron laptop with 8 gig and win10.
I have tried to use Linux Mint but most of the other software I use doesn’t work (Estlcam, 4 axis CNC Foam cutting etc) - dual boots are messy.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Windows 11 is out now for free download (if you have win10) the problem is most CPUs aren’t suitable, they have to be very late generation with a certain type of security feature...
The version of Win 11 out now is a preliminary release. The final build is due out in October. The hardware requirement is that the motherboard have a TPM 2.0 security module. Any mainstream brand PC sold in the last five years or so will be in compliance.

If you want to check your machine, there are numerous guides on how to do that. Here's one: How to Check if Your System Has TPM Chip for a Windows 11 Upgrade

Windows 11 is not a subscription package. The payment model is exactly the same as Windows 10.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
If you are not dependent on software that is locked to the Windows ecosystem, Linux Mint is probably the way to go. I've been using it for quite some years now. I've tinkered with other Linux distros, but always seem to come back to Mint, as it's stable, reliable, highly supported, and requires little configuration - it just works, so I can get on with actual productive tasks.

patrickrio

At that point, I'd have to pay for the subscription and I'd think open source software might have a hard time keeping up...
If Microsoft somehow got windows back to the point it was on 95% of all personal computing devices, they might be able to stick it to us again by charging a subscription. I think this is unlikely.

More likely is a heated battle between Microsoft/Windows, Google/ChromeOS/Android and Apple/MacOS/iOS for market share of personal computing devices. Windows is likely to continue to basically be a free "gateway" giveaway by Microsoft to front load market share. Microsoft has basically been doing this for a long time already. I haven't had to pay OS tax since Windows XP, even though all my personal Windows desktops since then have all been built and software loaded by me with fully legal copies of Windows.

The real question is if Microsoft leverages your free Windows install to soak you elsewhere. If MS does this enough, that Linux install will start looking attractive.....

rotax618

I would use Linux in an instant, it runs ”just about” everything I use, it is just those few essential programs that won’t run - I am going to configure a PC with linux and see if the windows programs will run successfully in Wine.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I would use Linux in an instant, it runs ”just about” everything I use, it is just those few essential programs that won’t run - I am going to configure a PC with linux and see if the windows programs will run successfully in Wine.
That's more "adventure" than I'd want to take on, but if I had a dedicated machine just for FreeCAD and nothing else it might not be such a tangled mess, err, "risk."

Hephaestus

That might be where a livecd would be handy - fully configured linux install on a jump drive, with everything ready to roll.

Plug the USB in - reboot, go...

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Linux does a better job in a multi processor environment than windows. But I can't go there. Don't want any more dual boot and multiple computers for multiple uses in my life.

Win 11. I won't be an early adopter and my current monster machine is Xeon based. High end, high capacity, dual processor mother board, 14 cores per socket at the moment and hyperthreaded. Oh and it is all server level stuff 2U 19" rack. You know you have a problem when you build a machine like that for a daily driver. My old machine which is 1 rack space down is still great but I needed to move up. It could be for sale if someone wanted a solid machine for CAD. I probably won't use it anymore. I'm more likely to buy a mini pc for CNC purposes.

rotax618

This may answer some of your doubts about Freecad, it is a bit dated and some of the suggestions are included in the Realthunder link.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
So far I have been unsuccessful installing the realthunder branch or any follow ons like ASM3

rotax618

I have no idea how I can help you Jay, the instructions in the youtube video are clear enough - download the zip file, unzip it, either run the bat file in the freecad link3 folder or open the bin folder and run the executable “Freecadlink.exe”
that is assuming you are running windows 64 bit.

rotax618

Unzip, click on RunFreeCAD.bat
that is all you have to do - then follow the youtube video to setup the interface.7B01E1BD-3F8C-4814-9482-546EC24F99DC.jpeg

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
While I am unsure if I am in RealThunder I think I am. I am doin' the the you sit on a stool and wear a pointed hat lesson, it is very helpful. But some of the stuff doesn't look exactly like the examples I think because the tutorials while as current as possible lag behind the latest upgrades to some degree. But anyway so far making progress faster than in SW. CIT cannot be dumber than me his heart wouldn't beat, I'm sure he'll figure it out soon.