EAA No Longer Has Free SolidWorks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Wanttaja

Note on the EAA Forum page that the free Solidworks available to EAA members is being discontinued.

Ron Wanttaja

1Bad88

I just got the following email a few hours ago. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Thank you for being an EAA member and for taking advantage of the SOLIDWORKS EAA member benefit. For the last five years, we have been proud to offer SOLIDWORKS Education Premium to EAA members free of charge. The uptake and feedback from members has been tremendous.

As we roll into the next phase of the SOLIDWORKS and EAA relationship, I wanted to communicate an important change to the program.

Beginning today, EAA members will have access to 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers at a 50% discount. This offering is replacing SOLIDWORKS Education Premium, which was free of charge for EAA members. This change was not initiated by EAA.

With this new benefit structure, EAA members will have greater access to support and resources. Now included in this member benefit is:

• 50% off 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers: The world’s best design tools, now for hobbyists and personal projects.
    Retail: $99/year | EAA Members: $49.50/year
    Roles within this product include:
    • 3D Creator
    • 3D Sculptor
    • 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Professional
    • Collaborative Business Innovator
    • Collaborative Industry Innovator
  • FREE access to SOLIDWORKS training resources ($156 value)
  • FREE access to three SOLIDWORKS certification exams ($198 value)
    • 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Associate – Mechanical Design
  • FREE access to quarterly aviation-focused SOLIDWORKS webinars
  • FREE access to the Maker Communities

Those EAA members currently using SOLIDWORKS Educational Premium will be able to continue using this version until their license expires. Once a member begins using 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers, they will need to renew on an annual basis.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I just got the following email a few hours ago. I'm disappointed to say the least.

Thank you for being an EAA member and for taking advantage of the SOLIDWORKS EAA member benefit. For the last five years, we have been proud to offer SOLIDWORKS Education Premium to EAA members free of charge. The uptake and feedback from members has been tremendous.

As we roll into the next phase of the SOLIDWORKS and EAA relationship, I wanted to communicate an important change to the program.

Beginning today, EAA members will have access to 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers at a 50% discount. This offering is replacing SOLIDWORKS Education Premium, which was free of charge for EAA members. This change was not initiated by EAA.

With this new benefit structure, EAA members will have greater access to support and resources. Now included in this member benefit is:

• 50% off 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers: The world’s best design tools, now for hobbyists and personal projects.
    Retail: $99/year | EAA Members: $49.50/year
    Roles within this product include:
    • 3D Creator
    • 3D Sculptor
    • 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Professional
  • FREE access to SOLIDWORKS training resources ($156 value)
  • FREE access to three SOLIDWORKS certification exams ($198 value)
    • 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS Associate – Mechanical Design
  • FREE access to quarterly aviation-focused SOLIDWORKS webinars
  • FREE access to the Maker Communities

Those EAA members currently using SOLIDWORKS Educational Premium will be able to continue using this version until their license expires. Once a member begins using 3DEXPERIENCE SOLIDWORKS for Makers, they will need to renew on an annual basis.
Yep got it too.

So at an additional $50 a year maybe there is a better option?

1Bad88

Is Fusion360 still free? I've been a die hard SW user since 2001 so I haven't researched alternatives.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
My curiosity is to that the student version which was free but you had no intellectual rights to what you did. For $50 a year is what you draw your own?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Not exactly whatnyou asked, but related;

Files and data created with your Maker account are digitally watermarked and can only be opened up in another Maker platform. You cannot open up files created with your Maker account within a commercial or academic platform. This digital watermark is added to native 3D file formats, such as .3dxml, .sldprt, .sldasm, and .slddrw. Neutral 3D file formats, such as .stp or .iges can be opened on any platform.
I didn't see anything specific about the intellectual license for designs, but it appers they at least maintain control of the files.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
From what I'm seeing on their site and forum, yes, you maintain intellectual property rights. They even offer a feature to 'sanitize' your designs to protect your intellectual property if you share them with others.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The staff does have riot gear at the SolidWorks headquarters, don't they?

I hope they can negotiate a 501 (c) 3 non-profit exemption for the local EAA chapters that have become non-profit org's. We're building a program at our chapter and were planning to offer training in SolidWorks to the kids building our Zenith.

1Bad88

Not exactly whatnyou asked, but related;
I didn't see anything specific about the intellectual license for designs, but it appers they at least maintain control of the files.
This just keeps getting worse...

fretman_2

I've been using free TinkerCAD online. It works for my 3D printing needs, but may not work for aircraft design.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Just when I was thinking about purchasing a lifetime membership to the EAA this happens.

Could have gotten a lifetime membership in the mid 60s for $100. There are a few times I thought it may have been worth it. Then maybe not.

Former EAA #19944 IIRC!

Lifetime membership would be for my grandson (or granddaughter)!

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
They added another fantastic membership value a couple of years ago, by significantly shrinking the size of the text in the printed magazine, down to where it is very difficult for me to read without glasses.

Then, they rubbed my nose in it, by increasing the white space margins around everything.

I'm sure some 22 year old idiot with a still-wet college degree thought it would make the magazine look more hip and edgy. But the gray-haired leadership of EAA (who should have known better) bought into that, without considering what message it sends to their (older, gray-haired) rank and file.

patrickrio

Well. guess I need to stop learning SW and move to something else then.

Seems like finding something better integrated with CAM and CFD is timely????

Bigshu

Ok, in the aftermath of school closures/remote learning/realignment of the workforce, a for profit company wants to change the deal they offer to a "partner". I'm not going to get too bent at EAA for this, as they didn't initiate the change. The original deal went away, and this is the best offer EAA could get for a popular, useful program. It's still a great value, when you consider the extra support, tutorials, and other features of this version of the software. And 50% off is still better than 0% off. I spend far more than $50 a year on less useful things.

Mad MAC

I have been using Solidworks to model and then fusion 360 to process for CAM, as I been using solidworks for 20 years but CAM is new to me so tried fusion 360 but didn't like the modeling methods. Cloud based sucks big time on my internet connection.

Guess I will ditching draftsight as well as a protest.

ScaleBirdsScott

I don't like modeling in Fusion360 but for some stuff it's really good. I use Fusion for CAM mostly on my Haas machines. I am not sure if the cheap SW for makers version is comparable to Fusion or what but I'd say $50/year for a program that is halfway decent isn't bad. Shaking off the 'student' license is a good deal as well.