EAA - For better or worse

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BJC

Supporting Member
Wrt chapter meetings; they run the gamut from the good to the bad to the ugly. I have seen the ugly, but I have seen the good, too.

Our most recent meeting went like this:
Free coffee and doughnuts from 0900 until 1000.
Pledge of allegiance.
Introduction of guests / new members, about three minutes.
Chapter business, about two minutes.
50 - 50 raffle, about three minutes.
Presentation on the scaled P-47 project; designer-builder Steve Wolf, about 20 minutes, how it will be painted, John Stahr, about 10 minutes. [Two of the very best at what they do.]
Adjourned.

The program a few months ago was a talk by a retired CIA spy / chapter member about how he arranged the defection of Arkady Shevchenko, a high lever Soviet diplomat. Also very interesting, and not too long.

Chapter meetings and activities are what the chapter membership makes them. Leadership training is available from EAA for people who want it.

BJC

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
But doing the math on the above meeting, it appears that a larger amount of time was spent on coffee and donuts than the aviation content combined, and twice the amount of time that was dedicated to the two hands-on airplane presentations.

New members and guests (potential new members) were a tiny portion of it all, no more important than the 50/50 raffle.

Brainstorming here for a second, and worried about my own chapter's decline as much as anyone else's, I might suggest that there should be TWO meetings on meeting day.

The first one should be the pledge of allegiance, intro any new and potential members, and get right into the hands-on airplane building stuff. After that 45-60 minutes is done, then the secondary meeting launches, with chapter business, who's late paying dues, the treasurer's report, the airport outhouse toilet paper report, pros and cons of repairing the Antonov 225... and eating donuts

BJC

Supporting Member
But doing the math on the above meeting, it appears that a larger amount of time was spent on coffee and donuts than the aviation content combined, and twice the amount of time that was dedicated to the two hands-on airplane presentations.
People trickle in during the hour of free donuts and coffee, and socialize until start time. There were probably 25 different conversations underway at the time.
New members and guests (potential new members) were a tiny portion of it all, no more important than the 50/50 raffle.
Yup, very few new members show up in the summer down here. We had two guests, so it only took a couple of minutes. I personally don’t like the 50 - 50, but it is popular, and accounts for a fair amount of money over a year.

The chapter is healthy. We have interesting programs, the business execution goes quickly, we have an annual fly-in / barbecue that funds pilot training scholarships, we have lots of active fliers, a handful of active projects, lots of flying classics and Experimentals, a DAR, active VMC / IMC programs, and lots of very knowledgable pilots and mechanics.

Just wanted to let people know that there are healthy EAA chapters.

BJC

Bigshu

Supporting Member
The first one should be the pledge of allegiance, intro any new and potential members, and get right into the hands-on airplane building stuff. After that 45-60 minutes is done, then the secondary meeting launches, with chapter business, who's late paying dues, the treasurer's report, the airport outhouse toilet paper report, pros and cons of repairing the Antonov 225... and eating donuts
Genius!

fastdancin

Light switch, then coffee pot. Anything that delays that first transfusion of the day better be mighty important -- and in time of war only.

SpruceForest

Stand-to coffee... packet of instant, sugar pack, and creamer pack... could eat that stuff dry as I did my own prep (still think that gun oil tang was already in the Folgers versus added via fingers covered with LPS) and then went out on the line.

Dillpickle

[QUOTE

Before match-drilled, self-jigging, CAD-drawn and builder-manual well documented and well supported kits were available, all a builder had for support was his or her chapter. They’d get together and look at some ambiguity on the builder’s print and make suggestions: “try this”, “I think..”, “why not…”. This camaraderie was the central glue that held a chapter together.

QUOTE]
This paragraph is EXACTLY what this forum supplies, with polite experts and seasoned veterans providing so much value to the rest of us.

Dillpickle

P-34,

One thing I would like to add about your original comment is how much I wish I had access to the things these youngsters today have access to. I would have been dangerous even if it was just Google Earth.

Kids (adults as well) today have the answer to everything in the palm of their hands no doubt. I bet you can remember having to walk over to the encyclopedia Britannica to try to learn what little information that could be found within. Or how about the good ole card catalogs used in the library system. Man, we had to work for our knowledge.
I can remember on many occasions thumbing through the card catalogs for what seemed like hours only to arrive at the location the card said the book was, to discover it was either checked out or missing in action.
lol

That process alone separated the pretenders from the contenders.

-Yellowhammer
Library catalog numbers 671.133? Was that the model airplane section? Brings back memories!

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Library catalog numbers 671.133? Was that the model airplane section? Brings back memories!

D,

Yes for sure. Definitely would not find me roaming the listings for Fiction. Don't get me wrong, I believe students should read the American and British classics in school.

However, till this day, I never read any fiction. Sometimes though, I will read a manuscript titled as non fiction only to discover that it was indeed mostly fiction. LOL

Brings back great memories indeed.

-Yellowhammer

Just looked at the Air Show schedule for Oshkosh 2022 lineup . Same old same old . I like the majority but have seen them so much that I feel like I could do their routine for them . Now there's an idea , maybe if I could ride along it wouldn't be so boring . Not worth 900 miles to see a replay . The weather is outstanding (when not raining) but you wind up hating yourself driving home from 70/80 degrees to 100 here in Okla . I do absolutely love being there though and it's good for the mind , nothing like it , anywhere . Cheers to all attending this year , be safe and enjoy .

BJC

Supporting Member
Just looked at the Air Show schedule for Oshkosh 2022 lineup . Same old same old .
I haven’t watched an Oshkosh airshow this century.
The weather is outstanding (when not raining) but you wind up hating yourself driving home from 70/80 degrees to 100 here in Okla .
I’ve been really cold (in a tent, circa 1972) and really hot, and everything in between. I call it a success if there are no tornadoes or hail storms.
I do absolutely love being there though
Me too.

BJC

PiperCruisin

Supporting Member
The airshow is a chance to see stuff that is normally busy or a second look. The airshow like a nice background.
I was always there to see the new experimentals, tools, tech, etc. The airshow was sometimes fun to watch (mainly WWII mass flyovers and bombing runs), but kind of a noisy distraction.

I like sports, but don't like watching sports.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
I was always there to see the new experimentals, tools, tech, etc. The airshow was sometimes fun to watch (mainly WWII mass flyovers and bombing runs), but kind of a noisy distraction.

I like sports, but don't like watching sports.
I like the special stuff, like the flyby of the WW2 to today aircraft diamond formation. I'll watch an aerobatic performance if I like the performer, especially Patty W. Out of the ordinary things, like the V22 simulated rescue deployment, and things like that. Not interested in the paragliders, powered chutes, or sky divers, and have seen the military demo teams multiple times. The Canadian team was a nice change of pace. Wouldn't miss it for the world to talk to vendors and proud builders. Always something out of the ordinary on display in a given year.