EAA Chapter membership

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I know EAA requires all chapter members also be members of EAA National.
Are there any EAA chapters that offer exemptions to the rule or don't enforce the rule?
Such as non-voting associate membership or something?

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member
When I ran the EAA Chapter at our airport (retired 11/2020 to focus on some other youth related aviation initiatives) I didn't ever stress membership or dues.

Bear in mind the new President, VP, Treasurer and board are running around trying to make the Chapter properly run now. I am HORRIBLE with rules and bureaucracy and I'm also sure I was wrong from a "structure" point of view for thinking and acting the way I did.

My philosophy is that if you build something good people will see the value from their perspective and stay, add value themselves, and then they sign up and pay the dues because the requested amount is a pittance compared to the value. These folks WANT to help and gain personal fulfilment for it.

In this case you provide a framework for people to gain fulfillment.

If they don't see value they don't stay. Self regulating in this sense.

One thing I used to worry about was my gang getting obsessed with collecting $25 a year to be a member of the Chapter when the money was the least of our problems. Adding value to the members and prospective members and helping the community were what mattered. In my 6 years as President the money took care of itself and we never had to fight for volunteers.

A good friend of mind (;)) was often heard to say that our chapter was like a social club - it had something for many people.

As you can tell I don't like staying between the lines - why do I have to have a Chapter that only builds planes, does YE, and has boring meetings? Why can't I create a group of diverse people (age/sex/race/interests) and have fun and engage members with many diverse yet related interests?

Sorry for the rant BB. Topic close to my heart.

Wayne

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I know EAA requires all chapter members also be members of EAA National.
Are there any EAA chapters that offer exemptions to the rule or don't enforce the rule?
Such as non-voting associate membership or something?
You could just attend the chapter meetings and throw in a donation to the chapter kitty every year. You wouldn't be a member of anything, but I bet there wouldn't be much difference to you--they'd still be happy to have your volunteer help, etc. Probably no Young Eagles flying, just due to insurance issues, but the chapters always need help on the ground anyway during those events.
IOW--if avoiding EAA national membership is a priority for some reason, why be an official member of the chapter at all? Both you and the chapter get the same benefits if you just attend and support them in other ways.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
You could just attend the chapter meetings and throw in a donation to the chapter kitty every year. You wouldn't be a member of anything, but I bet there wouldn't be much difference to you--they'd still be
I don't think they would allow that. They require a sign in at the door, at each meeting. I joined last year when I had an EAA membership at that time. I figured if it lapsed they wouldn't care. But the President sent me a nasty email and that was it. I won't maintain a continuous EAA membership, it upsets me.
There is an alternate chapter to the south that might be more flexible, if that is possible.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
It’s a sad chapter indeed that will only allow members to attend their meetings.
Yep. That's a sign of leaders who have forgotten the purpose of the organization and are more concerned about the bureaucracy or internal issues. Outreach and inclusion are the keys to success. Get those right and dues will come.

TFF

Locally there are more non members attending than members. I think the big difference is being allowed to use the chapter tools or cheap hangar space for projects. Way more that want to hang out than build or own.

deftone

Yep. That's a sign of leaders who have forgotten the purpose of the organization and are more concerned about the bureaucracy or internal issues. Outreach and inclusion are the keys to success. Get those right and dues will come.
You mean like Jack Pelton.....

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
It’s a sad chapter indeed that will only allow members to attend their meetings.
That kind of attitude should result in a violent beating.

"In other news, a 70 year old was found severely beaten today a by a bunch of other 70 year olds, who were using faded baseball caps adorned with numerous cloistered pins as weapons. Investigation revealed numerous tiny aircraft-shaped indentations in the victim's scalp and forehead. Several cane-tip-sized contusions were also present on the victim, who authorities found cursing and banging a wooden gavel on the outhouse behind a hangar at the airport..."

BJC

HBA Supporter
You mean like Jack Pelton.....
...who is much better than the previous two.

Having chapter members who are not EAA members is only an issue if there is an insurance claim; however, if someone is serious about sport aviation, EAA membership is a bargain, and, along with AOPA, are the only real voices that we have with the imperial government.

Edit: Haven’t we sufficiently bashed about this subject in previous threads?

BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Locally there are more non members attending than members. I think the big difference is being allowed to use the chapter tools or cheap hangar space for projects. Way more that want to hang out than build or own.
Are you saying I could attend meetings from time to time or every month* as a non-member and that is expected and ok?
They don't have a hangar.
* no airport meetings allowed now for indefinite future, they have zoom meetings, I am not interested in. ( mandate from governor)

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Having chapter members who are not EAA members is only an issue if there is an insurance claim;...
Maybe there is a rule/guidance from EAA HQ that encourages or mandates that folks who regularly attend a chapter's meetings be members of EAA? I don't know if that's the case, but I can see how such a rule could come to be, and that different chapters might enforce it with varying rigor.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Are you saying I could attend meetings from time to time or every month* as a non-member and that is expected and ok?
The combined cost of EAA and chapter membership at our chapter is less than the cost of fresh donuts and coffee that the typical member consumes.

Edit: It costs $55 per year to be a member of the EAA and our chapter. If someone were truely interested, but could not afford it (different from being too cheap to pay their own way) there are lots of members who would pay for that person. It has been done.

BJC

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Please explain the insurance issue with non-members attending meetings.
Not an issue, AFAIK. Non-member participation in an event that has an incident leading to an insurance claim or legal action is the concern.

BJC

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The combined cost of EAA and chapter membership at our chapter is less than the cost of fresh donuts and coffee that the typical member consumes.

BJC
This has nothing to do with cost of membership. I would happily pay the chapter dues. I don't eat the donuts.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Bill, if you can’t afford EAA membership, but want to be an EAA chapter member, PM me and we will make it happen. If you don’t understand and appreciate the benefits of supporting EAA through a membership, then there is no way anyone here can change your mind.

I’m out.

BJC

Turd Ferguson

This is what the chapter handbook says:
Chapter membership is open to all EAA members. All new chapter members must join EAA. The one exception is for honorary chapter members. Chapters are provided the opportunity to grant a six-month trial membership to any new chapter member (www.eaa.org/chaptertrial). Those wanting to join your chapter are responsible for providing proof of their EAA membership.
So following the letter of the rules, one should be an EAA member to join a chapter, although a 6 month trial membership to the chapter is apparently available at no charge. Or, become an honorary chapter member (which I'm not sure what the process is for honorary membership)
I have attended a local chapter on an irregular basis as a guest for several yrs. I would pay the dues and have asked that a membership application be mailed to me as that is how they send out the annual membership forms which are returned with annual membership fees but so far, no dice.

Latest posts