EAA 2016 Founders Innovation Prize - In flight loss of Control Accidents

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Wayne, May 13, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 13, 2016 #1

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

[TABLE="align: center"]

[TD="width: 570, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]
    You can solve them.

How?

By entering your design, concept, or idea into the EAA Founder’s Innovation Prize challenge.

The 2016 Founder's Innovation Prize is a contest to help solve the problem of fatal loss-of-control accidents in amateur-built aircraft. Five final individuals or teams will get the chance to present their submissions to a panel of esteemed judges – live at AirVenture!

The grand prize winner will receive $25,000.

Are you, yes YOU, ready to make a difference? [/TD]
    [/TABLE]
    We need an idea ladies and gents! I can present at Oshkosh if you can't make it!

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  2. May 13, 2016 #2

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

At the risk of derailing the design half of the discussion... TRAINING!

Reinstate spin training.
    Add more training emphasis in controlled flight throughout the stall range.
    Add upset recovery training to the PPL requirements.

Toobuilder and Victor Bravo like this.
  3. May 13, 2016 #3

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Put AOA in the cockpit and use it to teach just like we use the ball to teach coordinated flight.

Stop teaching about airspeed as the primary indicator for proximity to stall.

Hot Wings and Daleandee like this.
  4. May 13, 2016 #4

nerobro

nerobro

nerobro

I second this. AOA tells you what your wings are doing. Airspeed "just" tells you how fast you're going.

5. May 13, 2016 #5

don january

don january

don january

I think this problem has been fixed about the best it can. "BRS" If control is lost in flight it probably has to do with flutter, or hinge/cable failure. The way I see it if a pilot can watch all control surfaces that would be a good start, so something like a on board camera system monitoring all 360 degree's of you plane.

6. May 13, 2016 #6

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he #@*$& said !

I met Paul Poberezny a handful of times. I was never one of the good old boys in Oshkosh by any stretch. But I will bet my last dollar that Paul would have written the rules to this Founder's Innovation Prize with the caveat "Not an electronic, digital, or computer-based innovation".

I believe that the winning entry should be something in the aerodynamic-mechanical category like the "Lam Aileron", or Roncz's stepped leading edge from the ICON (not this specifically, the sawtooth/ste\p was originally invented long ago). Something like the VG's which directly improve low speed control... that kind of stuff.

If they award this prize to an iPhone app I'm jumping off a bridge.

bmcj likes this.
  7. May 13, 2016 #7

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I got it... I got it ! I'm rich!

Yaw String

Do you need my address to send me the check?

Matt G., bmcj and nerobro like this.
  8. May 13, 2016 #8

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Here is your solution: FAA/PMA'd version will be $20-$25 each.
    cork.jpg

Pilot inserts device in his butt before takeoff. That should prevent him from sticking his head up same orifice during flight.

Add gizmo's to the cockpit till you run out of real estate, if the pilot has his head up butt, those gadgets don't work!!! Ref: AF 447

Seriously, if you want a technological solution, it would be a full time autopilot that will not allow the pilot anywhere close to the edge of the flight envelope. Sounds like a plane that would be a lot of fun to fly.....or ride in since it won't need a pilot to actively keep it upright.

While loss of control represents the largest number of fatal accidents, in GA that's less ~200 deaths per yr.? In motor vehicle world, that's probably equal to the number of loss of control deaths in the first half of any given week. The inevitable solution is self-driving cars.

Yep, a solution in search of a problem. No telling how much money has been spent "identifying" LOC as the number one killer. No telling how much more will be spent looking for a "solution" Can't mandate 2 hrs of training per yr for the high risk group because they will quit flying. Let's find a $$$$$$$$$$$$ solution.

BTW, I fully intend to donate my prize money to be used toward pilot education.

Toobuilder likes this.
  9. May 13, 2016 #9

nerobro

nerobro

nerobro

That's so much easier to pay attention to than a slip guage... and it's a lot lighter. It really makes me wonder how .... wait.. I think i'm figuring it out. Yaw strings are pretty ugly in propwash aren't they?

bmcj likes this.
  10. May 13, 2016 #10

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Yeah, nearly useless behind a propeller. That's what you get for reading forum posts by a sailplane pilot !

Matt G. and bmcj like this.
  11. May 13, 2016 #11

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Pick a low bridge - during flood stage - after the rain stops. :gig:

Why not combine both? I'm still working on my MPG and came up with the idea to combine a yaw string and an AOA string for new pilots to use. It can be one little string since it's an open cockpit thing with pusher props. The AOA part is just a simple set of horizontal marks above and below the little center target. The yaw part is how far it's away from the center target laterally. My MPG at the moment has flaps so the AOA bars need to move with the flaps, but that isn't hard to do.

As you note putting this all behind a tractor propeller just doesn't work, but something displayed the same way by an App* or a dedicated gauge might be useful? Maybe a little piece of 3D "string" attached to a magnetic actuator and stuck to the wind screen would get noticed? Or a real piece of string behind a little vectored fan so it wiggles like the real thing?

*Hate that word. Computers run programs toys use apps!

12. May 14, 2016 #12

nerobro

nerobro

nerobro

A cable actuated vane outside the propwash would do the job too... But that's a maintenance item.