E-LSA on older aircraft/kits

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

I'm new to this, but the FAA's E-LSA rules make me excited about the learning opportunities.

I have a list of planes I am considering, but I have also been looking into older kits that are being resold.

I am mostly looking at Avid Flyer Clones, and I have noticed a couple older kits that are not explicitly listed as E-LSA kits for sale. Namely old Kitfoxes.

For example, the Kitfox 1/2/3 are well under the E-LSA limits, but was sold before the rules were passed. As I understand it, if the plane was finished is certified as E-AB (experimental-amateur built, just in case my abbreviation is wrong) , then although it can fly under LSA rules, it cannot be maintained under E-LSA rules (if this is incorrect, please tell me). My questions is, if I find an unfinished kit and finish it, can I get an E-LSA airworthiness cert, or am I limited to an E-AB?

Joe Fisher

To Fly as LSA it only has to meet the LSA rules.( Max gross weight 1340 lbs or less ect.) As E-AB it would be maintained as E-AB. The E-LSA is only for E-LSA kits they do not have to meet the 51% rule like E-AB. It appears to me that E-LSA kits are usually trikes that that have majure parts could not be built by an amateur.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
This is confusing but here goes: The old Avid or Kitfox kits can only be certificated as EA-B. (no problem, they still qualify for operation as LSA)
The term E-LSA applied to those two place ultralights Certificated before the 2010 deadline or so, so disregard.
The term E-LSA also applies to a kit that has passed SLSA cerfication first. RV -12 is the only one in this category, I think.

That's how I understood it, with the exception of there are more E-LSA Kits out there. I was under the impression that the Kitfox 5/6/7 are all e-lsa, as well as the Just Highlander. The advantage I am looking for is the LSRI progam allows an owner-operator to get a Repairman Inspection Cert for his plane, with a 16 hour course. My hope was that this, coupled with a Kitfox 1 would mean cheap flying without paying for annuals.

But that does not seem to be the case.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
I think you misunderstand.
Any kit sold before 2004 is not E-LSA.

You can finish an old kit and get the EA-B Repaiman Certificate if qualified. May not require much completion work to qualify.

Last edited:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Anyone can do their own maintenance on E-AB. Only the annual condition inspection need be done by an A&P or the original builder of record. So, once a year, you’ll have to pay someone, but if they do annuals in following years, the cost can be minimized because he is familiar with the plane and you can do all of work opening it up for inspection and closing it up afterward. Also, E-AB aircraft do not have an AD history that needs to be researched, so the annual is pretty much just a visual inspection. Not being able to do your own sign-off on an E-AB is not really a big deal.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Anyone can do their own maintenance on E-AB. Only the annual condition inspection need be done by an A&P or the original builder of record. So, once a year, you’ll have to pay someone, but if they do annuals in following years, the cost can be minimized because he is familiar with the plane and you can do all of work opening it up for inspection and closing it up afterward. Also, E-AB aircraft do not have an AD history that needs to be researched, so the annual is pretty much just a visual inspection. Not being able to do your own sign-off on an E-AB is not really a big deal.
Agree, but I will add the following:

If you complete the kit and obtain the EAB airworthiness certificate, you can also get the FAA approval to do your own condition inspections. This may take a little studying but likely not more than the repairman course you are considering. Depends on your local FAA and how much you impress the examiner. I have seen some that are pretty basic. Like in "you built it you will likely pass." It would be good to have a conversation with the local FSDO at this point an lay out your plan and see what the reception is. If the kit you get is 97% complete it will take more study but can still be done. If the kit is 10% done it will be an in process education.

The only downside is the EAB condition inspection only applies to you and your airplane. It does not transfer with sale of the plane and is not available to the new owner. The plus side is that you can sign off all work on that plane. Repairman certificate may have limitations.

Think I am OK with those statements but I am a bit out of my area of expertise.

'

BJC

HBA Supporter
The only downside is the EAB condition inspection only applies to you and your airplane. It does not transfer with sale of the plane and is not available to the new owner. The plus side is that you can sign off all work on that plane. Repairman certificate may have limitations.
Just to be clear: the repairman certificate allows the holder to perform and document (“sign off”) the annual condition inspection on the specific E-AB airplane. Anyone can perform work on an E-AB aircraft.

BJC