• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dynon Conversion Into Old School Steamer?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

Regarding avionics of my dream homebuilt... I grew up on steamer gauges however I have been flying glass for the last couple of decades and the Dynon stuff is really cool and it looks to be rather cost effective.

How difficult/ expensive/time consuming is it to convert a steamer airplane to Dynon glass?

How difficult is it to integrate the autopilot into a non-Dynon aircraft?

Since the Dynon is not "certified" it seems everyone is using the Dynon as a "standby" and placing it directly in front of the pilots face and then installing the certified antiques off to the side to make the aircraft legal IFR. What equipment and inspections does a IFR homebuilt aircraft need to have installed to be legal?

If you were to convert a non-Dynon airplane to a Dynon airplane how would you do it/equipment purchase /locate it?

I am kinda handy in that I have done numerous car restorations in the past 30 years (simple frame off original style restorations and also have even transplanted 5 modern computer controlled engines and transmissions into old school 50s and 60s American Iron) so electronics and other mechanically things are not very intimidating.

Anyone care to expound their knowledge on these subjects?

What tips/tricks/suggestions could you please add to the discussion?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND ADVICE!!!

Bill

Back