• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dynamic Stability Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Radicaldude1234

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if I could get some pointers in understanding dynamic stability, which is the only thing holding back the design I've been working on. From what I do know about dynamic stability, it is affected by both the aerodynamic shape and the inertial properties of the aircraft, which would preclude me from starting the structural design.

I have a fair understanding of static stability and know some "rules of thumb" for getting good dynamic stability, like having a longer tail for better pitch dampening, more tail volume, etc... I mean, it served me reasonably well in my last design, which had a 12ft wingspan and powered by a 1.5hp engine (RC; designed whilst I was obviously afflicted with Sailplane Design Sickness) Flight Test.wmv - YouTube

Anyways, I have no doubt I can get my rather conventional design (man carrying, this time) to behave reasonably well, but I also want to leave as least as possible to TLAR (That Looks About Right). Performance is something I would rather not discover during flight testing, particularly bad tendencies.

So right now I'm reading through Robert Nelson's Flight Stability and Automatic Control Flight Stability and Automatic Control: Robert Nelson: 9780070462731: Amazon.com: Books. It's an alright text, but not at all very straight forward. I am also reasonably well versed in stability and control concepts, such as Equations of Motion, Stability Derivatives, and Root Locus, though nowhere for something as complex as for an aircraft.

Specifically, I am looking for:

-Determine proper control responses (steady state and ramp-up pitch/roll/yaw rates)
-Whether or not there is satisfactory damping for phugoid, short, and dutch roll modes.
-If I can put all this into an Excel Spreadsheet as a parametric design tool.
-An idea of how analysis of this sort goes.

Thanks in advance guys! And Happy Holidays!

Last edited:
Back