dynamic soaring of sea birds at sea is a furffy ...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

skeatesy

you cant get something for nothing in this world and dynamic soaring in wind shear with no veriticle component in the air will not under any cercumstances support soaring and this has been postulated but no one has done it because it cant be done

Attachments

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
You need to look for a website or article called "How Flies the Albatross?" by Phil Barnes. Mr. Barnes has studied this extensively, and I'm pretty sure his resume and professional achievements will meet any challenge you might throw at him.

Extracting energy out of purely horizontal wind shear is done all the time by birds and has been demonstrated by R/C models and occasionally a full sized glider.

Aesquire

Sorry, I've watched RC gliders do it. I've tried it myself but my glider didn't have enough energy retention, although by turning the total energy probe switch on my variometer on/off/etc. I could measure the lift, even if I couldn't sustain.

WINGITIS

You need to look for a website or article called "How Flies the Albatross?" by Phil Barnes. Mr. Barnes has studied this extensively, and I'm pretty sure his resume and professional achievements will meet any challenge you might throw at him.

Extracting energy out of purely horizontal wind shear is done all the time by birds and has been demonstrated by R/C models and occasionally a full sized glider.
There are also many supporting studies similar to this as well:

Attachments