Dynamic Soaring Blows My Mind

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dynamic soaring (taking energy from the wind gradient) isn't new, but 548 mph... wow!

Tiger Tim

Who can even see and control the model at that speed and closure rate?
The guy in the video, I guess. You bring up a good point though that he’s likely not flying with 100% precision and as a result so there’s probably more speed to be unlocked.

Last edited:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Baby steps. You sure don't start out being able to keep ahead of 500+MPH. The previous record was way over 500MPH and the video of it was pretty hard to follow. You could probably program an autopilot to get some more.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Practice and practice and take small baby steps. I use to practice about 2 hrs each evening and 8 hrs on Sat and Sun. I lived in the country so was able to use a field on the farm.

Last edited:

Aerowerx

Uh, where was it?

After the launch I didn't see anything except the camera waving around, until the landing.

malte

Ingo Renner did that in manned gliders back in the 1970s. First with a H301 Libelle and then in a PIK20. It is mentioned in Helmut Reichmanns book about cross-country soaring. I have had an article on the flights, too, but can't find it at the moment.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
This is a combination of ridge lift and dynamic lift. How much is ridge and how much is dynamic soaring?

The Wright brothers flew from level ground to officially make the first powered flight. Should dynamic soaring flights be made over level ground if they are a demonstration of the capabilities of dynamic soaring?

To clarify, a level surface with some surface roughness as in the open ocean where nature demonstrates dynamic soaring.

Still - Very interesting!