Dynamic Prop Balance equip info req.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

nickjaxe

Hi guys...I belong to an ultralight club in the UK...we are interested in getting our own dynamic prop balance equipment....the only kit I can find on the net is made by an American company... Dynamic Solution Systems,

They have 2 models of interest but I have no idea of price ranges...they are,

DSS Personal MicroBalancer

And,

DSS MicroVib II Prop Balancing Kit

I wonder can any of you guys give me any info about this equipment...cost and practicality for the home user.

Nick.

TFF

The company I work for has a DSS Microvibe 2. It is about $11,000; not for the normal man. It has built in solutions for different brands of aircraft. A box that only gives ips and clock should be in the $1500 range. I have seen a build it your self electronic kit for about $500 that people use on homebuilt helicopters but I dont know the details.

TFF

Pretty simple in concept. What ever your balancing is kept at a constant RPM usually the highest. The box has two sensors. One measures the vibration in ips or inches per second; the other measures the RPM. The RPM is either by a magnetic or optical sensor looking for the target point as the stop/start of the revolution. If the vibe sensor trips, the box figures out where from the target it is. If the reading is at 90 degrees from the target ideally you would add weight at 270 deg. How much is a factor of either having a chart with your application that shows the amount needed or it is trial and error.

nickjaxe

Thanks guys....just found a youtube video I watched a while ago and found it interesting,

YouTube - ‪rv7 prop balance‬‏

I see the name on this guys equipment is Smart Avionics...after a quick Google I see they are in the UK which is interesting for me....

Smart Avionics Sales with the PB-3 being the latest kit,

I wonder how DIY friendly this type of equipment is....anybody used it.

Nick.

nickjaxe

I have emailed them for more info....I will let you know what they say....coincidently they are only 30 miles down the road from me....

Nick.

Lucrum

Log Member
I have emailed them for more info....I will let you know what they say....coincidently they are only 30 miles down the road from me....

Nick.
I got an email from DSS, I'm hoping to get a quote from them on their smaller unit sometime today.

StarJar

Hi guys:
Let me tell you how I dynamically balanced my prop for about $1.
First I painted the outer edge of my prop flange black.
Then I got a stiff rod (not from reading a magazine) that was about 5 ft long, and taped a piece of chalk at the end.
Then I tied the tail of the plane to a strong post, set the brakes, chocked the wheels and ran the engine up to 2000 rpm.
Then I stood next to the flange, a couple of feet behind the prop, and moved the chalk closer, and closer to the flange until it just barely touched the flange.
Then I shut down the engine, and looked at the flange. There were chalk marks on one side of the flange, so I figured they must be on the heavy side, and pulling the flange over to contact the chalk, thanks to the give of the engine mounts.
I added weight to the opposite side, and solved my vibration problem.
If you decide to try this method be very careful, and also remove the cowling, so you can stand farther back from the prop. Also it would be good to put a c-clamp in an area within 2 feet of the flange, that you can put the stick through, and it will brace the stick, otherwise the prop blast makes it hard to hold the stick steady.
I did this on a VW engine, so if you have a lot more power, it may be difficult to stand steady in the prop blast without some kind of brace.

Good luck.
StarJar