Ducted Fan Rotary Long EZ

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

HeliDev

Not sure if everyone knows about this site or not, I found it while I was looking for some info on ducted fan design for a RC plane I was building.
One of the most interesting things to me is that he doesnt use a reduction drive. I dont know how much weight it would save, but my guess is a fair bit. After some intitail teething problems it seems to be working well now.
The site is here .
Would like to hear what others think.

John Slade

IMHO Perry's experiments are a wonderful example of the true experimental movement, but I think he has a long way to go. The duct concept isn't very efficient at low speeds (eg less than 300 kts or so), and he's not getting a lot of power from his 13B. The result is that his cruise speed is way below a lycoming powered EZ. A redrive weighs about 35lb. I bet that duct weighs a lot more, so he's not gaining anything net weight wise.

Perry Mick's eze

G'day,
I followed Perry's fantastic development work on his site with great admiration & hope that he would succeed where all others had failed but I believe he has now bought one of Tracy C's re-drives. Let's hope he is still thinking towards more duct work,- eh?
Cheers,

Group Builder