Ducted Fan Pseudo-Jets

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Woodenwings

As much as new designs are exciting and good for daydreams....i am guilty of it too. There are good designs made for production....problem is there was no market for production versions of some...and other reasons....so now perhaps homebuilders might?

Check out this brilliant guy and all his designs.

Hanno Fischer

Woodenwings

As much as new designs are exciting and good for daydreams....i am guilty of it too. There are good designs made for production....problem is there was no market for production versions of some...and other reasons....so now perhaps homebuilders might?

Check out this brilliant guy and all his designs.

Hanno Fischer

Notice the straight wings as previously discussed!

misterstax

Hey Malish, I really like the Dreamer...I think I'd like to get in line to order one. Is it in production? The footage I've seen online is intriguing. I'm going to be building a shop/hangar and could use advice on its design, configuration, and equipment. I will probably have a lathe, as well as some light milling capability but not a large milling machine or rivet press. But definitely the basics; a table saw, band saw, drill press, small bending brake, ans so on.

raytol

Supporting Member
Why not a Sadler Vampire?

I build the Sadler Vampires in Australia. What DF or jet could I look at putting in it? The original Part 103 SV-1 had a KFM engine at 28Hp, the Australian ones have had Rotax 447 40Hp and HKS 65Hp engines. Unfortunately, my website is down at the moment!

Blackhawk

raytol,

You could do somthing like this for the single seater,

smaller diameter 5 blade prop in a propeller shroud could improve the thrust up to about 30% for the same power (65hp)

Attachments

• n_a (20) a.jpg
    n_a (20) a.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 10

Malish

Hey Malish, I really like the Dreamer...I think I'd like to get in line to order one. Is it in production? The footage I've seen online is intriguing. I'm going to be building a shop/hangar and could use advice on its design, configuration, and equipment. I will probably have a lathe, as well as some light milling capability but not a large milling machine or rivet press. But definitely the basics; a table saw, band saw, drill press, small bending brake, ans so on.

Unfortunately our plan to start production of our kit-build PJ-II "Dreamer" aircraft in 2021 have changed(mostly because Covid-19 epidemic), now we're looking to start it's production by the end of 2022.
To build our kit aircraft, all you will need is the regular mechanic hand tools and some tools to work with composite - because most of kit aircraft parts will be already made and all you need to do is to assemble them.
Because some airframe composite parts are relatively large(wings and fuselage) you will need shop space something larger than two car garage to assemble and store them - shop/hangar would be OK.

Riggerrob

raytol,

You could do somthing like this for the single seater,

smaller diameter 5 blade prop in a propeller shroud could improve the thrust up to about 30% for the same power (65hp)

Dear Blackhawk,

A ducted fan would improve thrust at low airspeeds.

I am not sure why you added a tiny canard to your sketch - of Sadler Vampire. That would help if the center-of-gravity is too far forward. However, most small pushers suffer from the opposite problem: C. of G. too far aft. This is because the engine has to be mounted aft of the C. of G. to position the propeller aft of the wings' trailing edge.

Blackhawk

RR,

I didn't add the canard; it was a picture I downloaded off the internet years ago.

I think it was for a Flight Simulator.

The vampire is a low speed aircraft and could benefit from the ducted fan type installation

misterstax

Unfortunately our plan to start production of our kit-build PJ-II "Dreamer" aircraft in 2021 have changed(mostly because Covid-19 epidemic), now we're looking to start it's production by the end of 2022.

Understood, Covid has been a real problem everywhere; my daughter was quarantined just 3 weeks ago and finally tested negative last Tuesday. That should give me plenty of time to get prepared. Do you have an estimate of the production time start to finish?

To build our kit aircraft, all you will need is the regular mechanic hand tools and some tools to work with composite - because most of kit aircraft parts will be already made and all you need to do is to assemble them.
Because some airframe composite parts are relatively large(wings and fuselage) you will need shop space something larger than two car garage to assemble and store them - shop/hangar would be OK.

Thanks, that gives me an idea of the size and layout, probably 25 feet by 25 feet or a little bit more, with a 12 to 15 foot high ceiling, I'm thinking, because of the need for the stabilizers to clear with landing gear down. Working with composite...by that do you mean setting up, laminating, shaping, finishing?

Malish

Thanks, that gives me an idea of the size and layout, probably 25 feet by 25 feet or a little bit more, with a 12 to 15 foot high ceiling, I'm thinking, because of the need for the stabilizers to clear with landing gear down. Working with composite...by that do you mean setting up, laminating, shaping, finishing?

With outer wings panels and horizontal stabilizers removed aircraft width about 8'
With landing gear down to the top of vertical stabilizers aircraft about 10' tall. But to cycle landing gear on the ground aircraft need to be jacked up about 2' more.
For exact aircraft dimensions see our website:
PJ-II Dreamer - dual controls light aircraft
Working with composite - gluing panels, laminating seams and do finishing work. All instructions for assembly will be in manuals supplied with the kit.
Our assembly manuals is not ready yet, but here is one chapter of manual for Lancair Legacy kit aircraft - to give you some idea what it's will look like(see attachment).
We're estimate assembly time will be about 2500-3000 man/hrs.

Attachments

• Chapter 08-Outbd Wing Section Closing.pdf
    484.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited: