dual mechanical brake lever?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tom H

Rusty, I'm late in the discussion, but we use double hand operated brake levers in our Double Eagle. The original plans call for this, but I modified the geometry to provide better leverage and force. We used bowden cable sheathes and stranded cable instead of the solid wire. The cables attach to 5" mechanical drum brakes, and 6.00x5 wheels/tires. This arrangement can hold the airplane during full power run-up, with 2180 VW engine. But, you have to pull the levers real hard!
You have to be careful about what your right hand is not controlling when you apply the brakes, so using the brakes is usually for final slowing during landing rollout and taxi use. I've attached a pic of the levers.
I've contemplated modifying to heal brakes, which would alleviate these restrictions.

Attachments

dominique

Hi,
Also, you can look at Michel Colomban's CriCri system, a single control and braking by right or left rotation of the brake handle.
Sorry, I don't have a photo, but you can probably find it here in a topic on building the MC 15
CriCri MC-15 in NZ
Dominique

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
seems to me hand brake handles, cables off a bicycle would be most of the hardware with design/fabrication of a mount only item left. Probably get some ideas from the postings here

Doran Jaffas

Greetings,

Has anyone seen a dual brake lever for mechanical brakes, that would be stick mounted. The idea would be that the handles would be close enough together to use as one handle normally, but could be activated separately if differential braking was needed. I can probably cobble something up, but if there's an off-the-shelf item, I'll start with that since I'll probably need two of them.

Thanks,
Rusty
Years ago I used dual mechanical brake levers mounted on the left upper longeron in my Sonerai 2 L. Worked great but not a new concept.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the comments. It doesn't seem like I've missed any obvious off-the-shelf item, so I'll plan to do a custom dual lever when I get around to it.
Thanks,
Rusty

radfordc

Definitely an option for the Onex, though I'd prefer to leave it on the stick. The Airbike pedals are on the outside, eliminating most normal options.

Rusty
I flew my Airbike for 250 hours and never felt the need for differential brakes. Dang near doesn't need brakes at all.

Tench745

Not to drag this thread off topic, but I'd be interested in more information on tying the rudder pedals into a single handbrake lever. It sounds like that might be a way to put brakes in a dual control aircraft while saving some weight vs dual brake pedals.

Dan Thomas

All you'd need is a single lever mounted on a U-joint affair so that it can move fore and aft and sideways but not rotate. The brake cables would be mounted so that they approach the lever at about 30° from the longitudinal axis. The cable housings would be anchored to pivots that let the cables be pulled straight, not being bent as they exit the housings. Pulling the lever straight back pulls both cables evenly. Pulling back and to one side or the other gives differential braking.

Pops

Log Member
The Nanchang CJ-6 has a hand brake on the stick with a 1/16" cable to a valve that operates the air operated brakes for the main gear. Push the rudder bar over about 15 degrees and just one brake operates for steering of the full swivel nose wheel.
I like toe brakes only.

Mcmark

i didn't like the heel brakes on the Cuby, but it weren't worth the change.
Had heels on the T-Cart I did most of my early training in, they weren't the best but not hard to find.
Neither airplane needs a lot of brake anyway.