dual mechanical brake lever?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Greetings,

Has anyone seen a dual brake lever for mechanical brakes, that would be stick mounted. The idea would be that the handles would be close enough together to use as one handle normally, but could be activated separately if differential braking was needed. I can probably cobble something up, but if there's an off-the-shelf item, I'll start with that since I'll probably need two of them.

Thanks,
Rusty

Mcmark

There is an aerobatic pilot that is paraplegic. His set up is obviously different. He had differential braking, one on each stick. Super Cub with a continuous loop rudder having a "left stick" and the standard control stick. Brake lever on each, one for each hand. Twist (motorcycle) throttle on the center stick.
Might be something that would work for you. One on the throttle and one on the stick?

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Definitely outside the box thinking, and I'm not opposed to that sort of thing. I think this will be much simpler. The plane has a full swivel tailwheel, and I'm fully content with a single handle nearly all the time, but there could be cases where I need a differential braking. It's an Airbike, so any sort of foot actuation, other than maybe dragging one on the ground <g> isn't going to be an option.
Rusty

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Beringer has dual master cylinders in one assembly with individual handles for differential braking. I also remember that some airplanes have one lever on the stick, but then a linkage to the rudder pedals or a hand control that gives differential braking....

Mad MAC

You mean like an inter war period English aircraft control column (this one is hawker hind I think), also qualifies as a cockpit safety improvement (much harder to impale ones self one).
image_244910.jpg

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I love Mad Mac's idea, but another option could be a pair of levers not on the stick. They are readily available for hydraulic brakes as go-kart/dune buggy hand brakes, not sure about mechanical ones.

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Thanks for the thoughts. I've seen some dual hydraulic units, but I don't see any reason to upgrade to hydraulic brakes on the Airbike. The Onex I'm working on also came to me with mechanical brakes, so if I come up with a good solution, I may use it there as well. I've got a couple ideas of how to make one, but I'm still hoping for an off-the-shelf option.

cblink.007

Greetings,

Has anyone seen a dual brake lever for mechanical brakes, that would be stick mounted. The idea would be that the handles would be close enough together to use as one handle normally, but could be activated separately if differential braking was needed. I can probably cobble something up, but if there's an off-the-shelf item, I'll start with that since I'll probably need two of them.

Thanks,
Rusty
Hey Rusty, take a look at these folks... they may also have the answers you are looking for!!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is foot braking not an option? It's got rudder pedals, doesn't it? Why not heel or toe brakes?

There was one certified aircraft, I forget which one, that had a single brake lever but it was also linked to the rudder pedals. If you pushed one or the other rudder, you got braking on that side, if the rudder was centered, you got braking on both.

Mad MAC

There was one certified aircraft, I forget which one, that had a single brake lever but it was also linked to the rudder pedals. If you pushed one or the other rudder, you got braking on that side, if the rudder was centered, you got braking on both.
That was also an English configuration, I think some of the De havilland twin engined biplanes that.

Stephen Asman

Greetings,

Thanks,
Rusty
There's a guy in here in Michigan with a Kolb Firefly that he set up with a brake system like what you are describing.

Here's a link to the his Youtube video:

He starts showing the brake system at 7:00 and a close up of the split brake handle at 7:30.

Screen cap:
1591235799559.png

Parts of it are custom made, I'm not sure if the handle is. You could contact him.

radfordc

I made a dual handle system for my friends Nieuport 28 using mechanical bike disc brakes. I had to custom build the handle mount on the control stick.

But, you are looking for off the shelf.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I saw a neet setup like that once but I think it may have used hydraulic brakes. A similar system could be used for mechanical breaks if the forces weren’t too high.

lt is a kind of wiffel tree arrangement. The center of the central lever goes to a hand break. The two ends of the central lever go to a right and left brake levers. One end of each brake lever goes to the respective break while the other end goes to the rudder pedals.

Pulling the break handle with rudder pedals centered applies both brakes equally.
Pulling the break handle with rudder pedals offset applies differential brakes to compliment the rudder command.
This system May require a closed loop rudder cable system to Operate correctly.

gtae07

I flew an A-22 Valor LSA that had brake controls mounted like the thrust reverser levers on a jet. Surprisingly it wasn’t that hard to get used to; I had more trouble adjusting to the presence of a nosewheel...

13brv3

HBA Supporter
Why is foot braking not an option? It's got rudder pedals, doesn't it? Why not heel or toe brakes?
Definitely an option for the Onex, though I'd prefer to leave it on the stick. The Airbike pedals are on the outside, eliminating most normal options.

Rusty

13brv3

HBA Supporter
There's a guy in here in Michigan with a Kolb Firefly that he set up with a brake system like what you are describing.

Parts of it are custom made, I'm not sure if the handle is. You could contact him.
Thanks for the links. This is exactly the one I was thinking of, and now I know why. I've watched a few of Ben's videos, and emailed with him a few times about Kolb stuff. I'll drop him an email about the handles. I fully expect to make some of this myself, and I have all the tools needed. If I can find any or all of the parts off-the-shelf, that will be a bonus.

Rusty