DRINKING AND FLYING

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
My opinion of this act is lower than a snake's butt. One hopes he put skid plates out there, but that's not going to mitigate any shock damage to the structure over time, every time he taps them down too hard.

LArzfromarz

Skid plates or no I think it's lousy way to demonstrate the skills of the pilot. I believe it sends a poor message to the younger folks in the crowd that may not understand that this is contrived.
There are better ways than being Foster Brooks with Piper Cub.
My humble opinion.
-Larz

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, he has skid plates on the wingtips.

-Dana

Lottery: a tax on the mathematically challenged.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
I think it's awesome and nowhere near as boring as all the usual "safe" airshows. Let it all hang out and show how much fun flying can be when you're not obsessing over all the intricacies of what MIGHT happen.

Younger folks in the crowd might actually be intelligent enough to realize that they won't let a drunk pilot fly in an airshow *gasp*.

skeeter_ca

It probably only takes about 15 seconds for anyone with half a brain to figure out this is just a stunt. For those without half a brain, screw'em.

You have to admire someone that can fly so close to or under stall speed and still maintain full control. Anyone that actually fly's realize just how dangerous this is and would not attempt it.

TFF

Drunk is not good; grandmother or farmer getting a first flying lesson is a little more PC. The act is only as old as aviation; I enjoy the fact that the whole flight is cross controlled and more in-control than the average pilot in the pattern. I have not seen that guy before, but I enjoy the guy who ends his bit landing on a moving truck. Except for one maneuver, more interesting than the last T-Bird show I saw.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Drunk is not good; grandmother or farmer getting a first flying lesson is a little more PC. The act is only as old as aviation; I enjoy the fact that the whole flight is cross controlled and more in-control than the average pilot in the pattern. I have not seen that guy before, but I enjoy the guy who ends his bit landing on a moving truck. Except for one maneuver, more interesting than the last T-Bird show I saw.
Who cares about being PC? I don't know a single person who isn't annoyed with it, black, white, drunk, sober :p It's silly and way less fun.

TFF

What would you replace it with? Air shows are big bores for the most part unless something rare is flying; they are really for the uninitiated not the experts.

macdonca

It always seems "awesome" until something >DOES< happen.

IE.. P-51s doing formation landings

I think it's awesome and nowhere near as boring as all the usual "safe" airshows. Let it all hang out and show how much fun flying can be when you're not obsessing over all the intricacies of what MIGHT happen.

Younger folks in the crowd might actually be intelligent enough to realize that they won't let a drunk pilot fly in an airshow *gasp*.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
It always seems "awesome" until something >DOES< happen.

IE.. P-51s doing formation landings

Oh no! Risk in something that is inherently unnatural and dangerous?! Heaven forbid, what of the children - we have to protect their sensitive minds!

Or ya know, you could let loose a little and show them that growing up and doing airplane stuff is actually fun.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
...Or ya know, you could let loose a little and show them that growing up and doing airplane stuff is actually fun.
So, growing up, getting drunk, and flying around like that is actually fun?

Kids will believe that act. Contrary to what all the pilots here think, most non-flying adults absolutely will believe that act until the back-slap at the end.

Regular airshow aerobatic routines and such are only boring to pilots, who've seen them a hundred times before. Next time you to to an airshow, look around at the people near the flightline and watch the kids. Watch their parents. Watch the other non-flying adults. They're captivated. Most didn't know an airplane could do that sort of thing. Most twenty-somethings these days think it can only happen in a computer. They're blown away to see it in person.

Airshows are NOT for pilots. If you think they are - if you think they should be more exciting for pilots - then you've completely missed the point of the exercise.

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Glad that those "airshows for the normal people" are really working out though...at this rate pretty soon the only people in the crowd will be "normal" people and not pilots, because there doesn't seem to be much of a translation from airshow attendies to actual pilot trainees...

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
And if you oriented airshows solely for the benefit of existing pilots, how do you think that would improve the situation?

Inverted Vantage

Formerly Unknown Target
Maybe if you did it that way, pilots would be able to justify doing the sport - they could get famous or win prize money. You'd have more pilots wanting to competitively enter contests and actually fly the plane instead of endless task repetitions. Interest in growing the sport grows.

skeeter_ca

I guess that's the difference between airshows and fly-in's. An Airshow you watch pretty airplanes doing amazing stuff with some static display aircraft, but can't get close to the feeling of what aviation is. A fly-in is a get together of planes and pilots that can talk to each other about planes and flying. You can't get that at an airshow. Fly-ins should be promoted locally more to attract would be pilots.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I guess that's the difference between airshows and fly-in's. An Airshow you watch pretty airplanes doing amazing stuff with some static display aircraft, but can't get close to the feeling of what aviation is. A fly-in is a get together of planes and pilots that can talk to each other about planes and flying. You can't get that at an airshow. Fly-ins should be promoted locally more to attract would be pilots.
I think that's a very good distinction, and also a useful one. I agree that fly-ins should do more to promote themselves to people interested in flying. Seems we only see them mentioned amongst pilot groups. A distinction can be made in the marketing to target people who are actually interested, rather than the general public at-large.

skeeter_ca

Fly-in's should have the local FBO's out there with info on how to learn to fly and maybe some demo flights at a super cheap rate. Heck, even airshow's should do that, but i don't recall ever seeing any flight instruction info booths at airshows. Maybe it's been done and just doesn't work.

Latest posts

Group Builder