drain holes

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by gahan, Feb 3, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1

gahan

gahan

gahan

I've installed drain holes in both alerions and wings at the inboard corner of each rib, do i have to put same in all tail components . I though one on each outboard horizontal components and one on bottom of vertical componets, plane is mini max and plan to build floats this spring.
    fabric is almost done with fusaglage to follow when I complete rigging o
    f flight controls.
    It's friday and I'll have a productive week end on construction.

reguards tom gahan

2. Feb 5, 2006 #2

wally

wally

wally

well here is my opinion,
    since it will be on floats and the purpose of the drain holes is to vent and drain, I would say put some in. They are small and easy to do. Are you using the "float plane grommets" They are a little different than the regular ones. They have a sort of splash shield that looks like a backwards facing scoop so there is better draining and more airflow. And on floats, it will probably get wet!

I put them everywhere on my Pitts - well, not the floatplane ones the regular ones. When you get done with the covering and painting, just take a little soldering iron with a round tip and poke the holes through the center of the reinforcing grommets. That keeps the fabric from fraying a little better than just cutting.

Years ago I had some friends who tried a couple of float planes. One got turned over while they were toiwng it back to the dock. The other guy had a homebuilt "contraption"! It was made on a single Full Lotis float with homade outriggers and wings and tail from some sort of ultralight all strutted together with round and square aluminum tubing! The fabric was bad on the rudder so he just covered the whole thing with duct tape! He had a 72 hp Mac as a pusher . The wood prop lasted about 3 or 4 flights before it was splinters from the water spray! It was two kinds of plane, Loud and Ugly, but it made up for that by flying slow and barely! I really wish I had a picture of it.

Same guy built an equally strange thing with both floats, a Subaru engine as a Low wing plane.
    Good luck!
    Wally

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #3

Craig

Craig

Craig

Drains

I second Wally's comments about drains. Put them in any section that does not easily connect with another. They are small, light, cheap, and easy to install - really good, practical insurance!