• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Down-Home Vibrometer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianW

For several years, I owned a C-150 formerly used by Spartan - Tulsa for training.
The overhaul engine in it had chrome cylinders and was remarked on for its smoothness.
I supposed that Spartan would have used vibration analysis in the course of training A&Ps.

I needed to smooth minor prop chips once or twice over the period of ownership.
I noticed that Vibrometers go for $150 - $2000 so I looked for a homebrew.
As it turns out, 3 axis accelerometers with analog outputs are now available at attractive prices.
ADXL335 ~ $15
ADXL335.jpg

So far so good. Next was the question, how to display the vibrations in X, Y, Z ?

I settled on a chinezium toy oscilloscope a DSO150 ~ $28
2020-11-06 14_25_21-Window.jpg

This device displayed the orthogonal accelerations in units of g as desired but lacked a most important facility - a second channel to display a trigger pulse, which I envisioned as a laser pointer and a phototransistor with a ruby colored plastic filter. Although I did not consider the extra cost of a two channel display was warranted for this test, I see that triggering on a sensor trained on a prop blade and adjusting the display speed suitably would indicate the crank angle for maximal amplitude. (I omit the details of connecting the accelerometer to an ethernet socket, so that a regular enet cable can be arranged to remote the sensor into the cockpit, etc.)

Back