• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dow foam question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plncraze

Supporting Member
I am interested in getting my foam locally in southern Ohio (and hopefully cheaper) rather than going to the usual aircraft kit suppliers. I was reading Andy Marshall's "Composite Basics"(1994 Edition) and he warned that there were two types of Dow Sytrofoam. One was the type used on the Varieze, Longez, etc. The other was what he called "bead foam" which is made by exposing the styrene beads to steam. This foam is weaker than the other Dow Styrofoam and so should not be used on aircraft. Does anyone here have a way to tell the difference in the two foams? Also when you go to the insulation store do you just ask for the Dow blue 2 pound per cubic foot foam and see what sizes they have?

Back