Douglas Bearcat engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

It’s hard to see but the aircooled Ford B has cylinders that almost mimic what an aircooled OX5 cylinder would look like. They may be bespoke parts. External rockers but different pushrods, but a similar cross flow. They don’t match anything I have found, but are more like WW1 like than 30s. Long stroke driven, but maybe surplus parts availability. Still the Depression.

Tiger Tim

It’s hard to see but the aircooled Ford B has cylinders that almost mimic what an aircooled OX5 cylinder would look like.
Those radial cooling fins on the heads really scream late teens/early twenties, don’t they?

I was in one of the hangars today eyeing up some cross flow Franklin aircraft cylinders and thinking there might be something to them. I realize now that while I intended to walk a couple over and hold them up to a Model A block in the opposite corner I must have become distracted by some other task.

Reactions: TFF

Bill-Higdon

Those radial cooling fins on the heads really scream late teens/early twenties, don’t they?

I was in one of the hangars today eyeing up some cross flow Franklin aircraft cylinders and thinking there might be something to them. I realize now that while I intended to walk a couple over and hold them up to a Model A block in the opposite corner I must have become distracted by some other task.
Squirrel

MACOWA

Yup. So much knowledge and skill lost when the smaller factories were put out of business by the large-scale operations. And then we shipped those operations overseas.

It's disheartening to search for the sorts of things I used to buy 30 and 40 years ago, to build, rebuild or repair some stuff. Last year I tried to buy some C93200 (SAE 660) bronze bar to make some new bearings for the bottom end of an old outboard motor I was restoring. No machine shop or supplier had the stuff in the city. I'd have had to buy 12 feet of it from a major warehouse a long way off and pay a gazillion dollars for it. For a $100 outboard? Cheaper to buy a new outboard, nearly. I ended up machining those bearings from some Delrin scraps I had here, and it has worked well.

Nobody, it seems, builds or fixes anything anymore. They just buy new stuff and throw the old stuff away. A walk through a Radio Shack is depressing.
Delrin bearings ? What a concept ! I was thinking of having my remaining stock of bronze appraised. And then there are the four old outboards behind the shop that are just too cool to throw away.

challenger_II

Delrin is some interesting bearing material. A close friend runs a machine shop. Most of his work is oilfield-related. Had a customer that very frequently bought big-end bearings for Gasso triplex pumps, machined from bronze. One day, my friend got a wild hair, and made two sets from delrin. The pump shop operator was very leery of "them plastic bearings". So, after a bit of discussion (and a LOT of arguing!), my friend gave the two sets to the pump shop operator, who donated them to a customer to test. 6 months later, the pump shop operator asked for 6 sets of delrin bearings. 6 months later, the PSO asked for 100 sets.
After 5 years of selling delrin bearings, my friend's orders for bearings dropped off to nothing. Seems that most every Gasso pump the Pump Shop Operator was servicing had the delrin bearings, and they were holding up much better than the original bronze bearing, and the demand collapsed.