• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Double Eagle or other alternative cheap and easy builds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishHawk

I recently registered on this forum and I asked some questions in the member introductions, but I am opening a new thread with better formulated questions now.
Based on my previous projects(a buggy build and teardrop camper), I have the most experience with welding tube frames, and I've got top notch welding equipment. I wouldn't like to build a subpar wooden frame. All metal seems like a big investment, and sheet metal is not a material that I am too familiar with. I do have access to metal cutting lasers, but I just don't feel up to it. Idk, change my mind if I am wrong.
I've decided on something lighter and easier. I don't want to get stuck for 10 years with a Zenith CH750 build and never fly that thing.
Double Eagle has a a big community, and it can take me plus my girlfriend, because otherwise she might kill me.
Can you suggest some similar projects, maybe some that can take more weight in the engine compartment so I can put a heavier but more powerful engine, some that are closed like the Hawk Arrow II?? Nothing is a strict requirement except 2 seats. Are there any ultralights that are better than the DoubleEagle in that department? I need them to be beginner friendly in build and in flight.
We are talking about a scratch build, not kit. Some of you said that I should contact someone who has built an airplane from scratch around here, but I've searched and I asked at the biggest aero clubs, and there is a total of zero I've found.

Last edited:
Back