"Dorothy" - Choppergirl's $38 Volmer Jensen VJ-24W antique ultralight motor glider

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by choppergirl, Feb 4, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 6, 2016 #41

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Re: "Dorothy" - Choppergirl's $38 Volmer Jensen VJ-24W antique ultralight motor glide

Oh shussh ya'll! A gaggle of well wishing backseat drivers already. I don't even have an engine yet! The only way this thing will fly within the next year or two or three is if I push it off a cliff...

Hands each of you a paint brush and a cup of citristrip. If you want to be useful, just swish this horsehair on a stick thing back and forth... :) Think Tom Sawyer and a fence...

I dont recall doing dual instruction by a certified instructor when I learned to ride a bike, then later a motorcycle, or for that matter a bulldozer :) I mean how hard can it be to fly? Boys do it all the time ;-)

Plus well Im sure my dad who was a licenced pilot and air traffic controller at one time will load me up with pointers.

Solo flight
    https://youtu.be/PMG1trzznHg

DIY X wing helmets (think I'd start with a DOT approved foundation first):
    https://m.youtube.com/results?q=x-wing%20helmet&sm=3

Pink Five
    https://youtu.be/zzGYxruVO5A

The Tragic Fate of the Rebel Pilot
    https://youtu.be/jzlXzftbMKc

X-wing in space
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ub0mFVDV0

I shall creatively requisition the necessary funds somehow that does not involve me saying "Would you like fries with that?" I've only had this thing two months yet, and one of those months was completely shot. Where there is a will there is a way. True grit. ;-)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Feb 6, 2016 #42

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Re: "Dorothy" - Choppergirl's $38 Volmer Jensen VJ-24W antique ultralight motor glide

Well I'll pay your membership and your first flying lesson when you're ready, just PM me.

Gregor Huttu is recognised as the greatest car racing Sim driver ever, such is his fame that a Car Magazine flew him from Finland to America to let him try a real racing car. He was slow and got very car sick after a few laps.

My point is Sim and Real World can have a large distance between them.

Joe Fisher and bmcj like this.
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #43

TFF

TFF

TFF

4. Feb 6, 2016 #44

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The thing I like about simulators and flight combat games is that after I am shot down or crash and burn I don't really die and I get a brand new shiny airplane to start over with.

5. Feb 6, 2016 #45

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Well, this may work...check the Greensboro, NC Craigslist and search for Ultralights...there is a "German built Lloyd engine" with some type of a reduction drive mounted for $400.... It has been posted for awhile, might get it cheap. Then you can push the whole thing off a cliff to get airborne. (Keep the nose down and dodge trees until airspeed increases to minimums. Avoid bushes and trees...if you don't, just as bad as road rash.).

Good luck with it!

Derswede

Update...forget the above, apparently the Lloyd engine ain't that great...but, you have a 35 hp Cuyana in your backyard. Search Atlanta Craigslist...there is a 35 hp engine, a Cuyana for $250 with reduction drive. Dpsays set up for a pusher configure, not sure what your Volmer is designed for.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  6. Feb 6, 2016 #46

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

7. Feb 6, 2016 #47

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

That brings back old memories. Go to Louisiana, Southwest Louisiana and it has photos of McFillin Airpark. That lady ran the show. She lost her husband and 2 sons to 3 different flying accidents. She was quite a lady. 2 years ago, I was down there and went looking for the place. It was all cluttered up with other stuff. She ran it for 15 years after all her family was gone.

8. Feb 6, 2016 #48

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

9. Feb 12, 2016 #49

VAPORTRAIL

VAPORTRAIL

VAPORTRAIL

Choppergirl, just two words of advise...for now.

[/DE CAFB]

:)

10. Feb 12, 2016 #50

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

@cheapracer, TFF - I actually watch lots of crash videos, as well as take off and landing videos on Youtube. Best to learn from other's mistakes, right, plus get a feel for the perspective. Its going to be a long time before I get to any point, and when I do, I'll deal with that bridge then.

Even if I did the huge long, long, long list of things necessary to restore my glider, I'd be halted at the final part of covering the 38 ft wings, as I have no place to store them without them getting punctured or damaged. I'm going to do everything up to that point. So its going to be several years... if that... very disheartening. Right now I'm at the very worst place in any project: the very beginning. But I have that long list written out in Wordpad. The old paint and the old rivets have got to go first... and that part requires mainly lots of hours of elbow grease rather than large outlays of capital. Perfect. Start cheap.

@Derswede - $250 for a Cuyuna + reduction drive is a great deal. I found the ad, I'll see if I can talk my dad into buying it for me maybe (?), as I have no space left on my credit card. That's not far from me... 130 miles. The closest I've come is a Kaw 340/2a on ebay for $200+$65 shipping. If anyone wants to chime in that an inline two cylinder would be way too heavy for my little glider motor mount, please holler at me why before I make that mistake, because scrounged Cuyunas/Kawasakis seem to be the cheapest engines around right now. Originally of course it used a 30lb 15hp Yamaha KT100, but others have put opposed 2 cylinders on them.

@blane.c - I've actually hunted for abandoned airfields around me before, found a few, and even contacted the owners via email. Fun stuff going back to the 50's! I love old maps. Unfortunately most have reverted back to strictly farmland or even forest. You can do some amazing research from the internet. ~ As far as respawning in game, I agree, I even pondered modding an FPS shooter to be one life then that's it, you're kicked out of the game. It wouldn't have gone over well with the players. Video games != real life.

@blane.c, Topaz - But still, if I were on a plane, and the pilot died, and the stewardess had to chose between someone who had absolutely no flying experience, and someone else who had 100 hours in Microsoft Flight Simulator and also no real world flight experience, I would hope she chose the second... at least he'd know how to turn the plane, what all the instruments were called, and what they meant, how to make an approach, how vitally relevant airspeed and altitude were, what the tower was saying when it was talking to him, and also to not to make any sudden inputs on the control yoke unless necessary to correct something drastic. So in that way, some learned generalized concepts from video games... do transfer over.

@VAPORTRAIL - I need to de-caf. My poisons of choice --- Pepsi / Dr. Pepper = very bad stuff.

@Victor Bravo - Not interested in getting a grant or getting a GA pilots licence, or doing this as a life long career as previous posters have suggested... I just want to fly... my own little plane someday.... around the local weed patch.

@everyone else - sorry i haven't answered you by name before now, will try and reply by name/nick/call sign in the future. hate for anyone to feel unheard, or slighted. i read all the posts. it all gets processed and absorbed into my gray matter somewhere. i have a hungry brain :)

~ ~ ~

I did make a band for a "pilot watch" today. I see all these "super expensive pilot watches" on the internet, and I'm like, hmm, neat, but $$$ for a watch... I think not. The original idea of them having come from Cartier making a wristband watch for Dumont when he needed to check his time while flying and still keep his hands on the controls.

Its just a cheap chinese $10 watch my dad bought at Walmart, but the crappy plastic band broke within a few weeks and he threw it in a drawer. Kind of looks 'piloty'. So I looked at replacement bands on ebay and they were $7. So I was like, pfft, I don't have $7, you can get a new watch almost for that... lets see what I can do with some scraps of faux leather I used to recover my motorcycle seat, and my hot glue gun..

For your amusement:
    [​IMG]

Just a little 30 min project, but I don't know, the price was right. Can you tell the band is hand made? Probably. But not when its being worn, only in the harsh light of a flash.. I scarfed some of his pilot looking sunglasses while I was at it ;-)

Probably wouldn't actually wear it to fly with, its too heavy. But it does have dual time, so I could set my analog hands at 12:00 before the flight and use them to time how long I've been in the air at a glance.

~

Otherwise I've been spending the past few days researching crowdfunding, as a way to fund my plane... and my research indicates to me, crowdfunding really does not work for 95% of the people who try it, and if you are successful at it, you basically have to bust your butt everywhere to promote and solicit it everywhere, and you might as well be working instead at a real job... instead of that rubbish. Its still an idea, but my enthusiasm for it has somewhat... deteriorated (should anybody until then wish to donate to dorothy they could always paypal gift my email address choppergirl@air-war.org ).

Still rather concerned about what passes for a rather insanely austere cockpit... Jensen's support bars right in front of my head do not thrill me... one bit... not to mention there's just too many vertical bars close to my face littering my forward field of view (I don't want to always be sticking my head out to the side to look passed them), and the whole thing looks like it would fold up in a crash on its lower chin.... squishing me inside. Its a study in minimalism... *but*... disconcerting.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    gearhead likes this.
  11. Feb 12, 2016 #51

TFF

TFF

TFF

EAA Chapter 172 of Augusta, Georgia, Home Page Hopefully these people can be friends. Always hard cold calling a group, but looks like some UL people hang there.

12. Feb 12, 2016 #52

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Yeah that's my local chapter, its only 7 miles from me, and 1 mile from my best friends house. My dad use to own 1/20th of an Aerosport Scamp there. I walked through their hangers lets see... 8 months ago... to take a look at the QuickSilver MX Sprint someone had for sale. It says in the ad he has medical issues, but a few months later I saw him flying it overhead over my friends house. Too $$$ for my budget and too many draggy wires to get caught up in the prop for my taste :) But I had to go see it just the same... as I had never actually seen an Ultralight in person before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the other direction from me, South, is the Wrens Airport, where they have a Nieuport 11... I think built as an experimental, but its borderline ultralight (with a smaller engine?) I've taken pictures of one of them in the hanger, when they had their last autogyro show (a totally dead airport otherwise, except 3 days out of the year where the local autogyro club meets).

[​IMG]

ah, dust! does that mean the owner would be open to... offers? ;-) cause i'd sell my soul... :-D

[​IMG]

Insanely, one of the autogyro club members (the club president?) was military (retired military Apache pilot?) and flew in an Apache Helicopter and just parked it out the field for anyone to walk up and take a look at.... which I took pictures of...

I was like... holy sheep****, an Apache! What is that doing here in this small town nowhere airport! :) This place is usually... ghost town... abandoned... its too lonely for even the tumbleweeds and dust devils...

[​IMG]

WBNH and flyvulcan like this.
  13. Feb 12, 2016 #53

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

It's not just the motor mount, that can be dealt with; it's the weight and balance of the entire airplane that must be correct for it to fly safely.

My experience in asking for permission to fly a powered paraglider is that every time (but one) I contacted a field owner by phone I was refused, and every time (but one) I made the first contact in person I was given permission.

It doesn't need to be an airfield, abandoned or not, any large enough farm field that's reasonably smooth will do.

I'm going to move this thread to the ultralight section because that's where it belongs.

Dana

14. Feb 12, 2016 #54

Wayne

Wayne

Wayne

CG (sorry I could not resist the opportunity to throw down an aviation acronym!),
    I'm the President of an EAA Chapter here in Illinois, and we are always on the lookout for young adults to join our Chapter, in fact we have developed programs to help provide meaningful and age related content to help do just that. We have a significant push for women in aviation as well.

Many Chapters are slowly dying because they don't attract new members, especially young members who will grow the sport down the road. It's not that they are bad people, it's just that many of them don't know how to appeal to new members, or maybe they are a bit stuck in their ways.

Based on your enthusiasm, and the fact that Chapter 172 seems approachable from the web, I'd second or third the recommendation to connect with them. Once you become one of the gang you'll be surprised at what resources might be available. Airport bums (a position of high honor!) have planes you can go flying with them in, sometimes spare stuff that can be used as part of a project, and most importantly will provide you with an in-person experience that will help shape your understanding and future direction in aviation. For example, if you became interested, there is no practical limit for a young lady in aviation right now - you could chart a path to Airline Captain easily, and with work & dedication, have a very good chance at making it. Or, just as valid, you could putter around the "weed patch" but have some really good new friends. You'll always have access to HBA, but as good as this site is, it can't replace the camaraderie of a post flight chat & Dr. Pepper on a warm Summer evening after a nice flight :)

If you need help touching base with the Chapter let me know - I introduce people to new Chapters all the time.

Wayne

bmcj, Midniteoyl and blane.c like this.
  15. Feb 12, 2016 #55

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

Midniteoyl

16. Feb 12, 2016 #56

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

@DANA - *nod* - probably just like job interviews. You're nobody to them until you're face to face. If only they sold half acre plot squares all along the side of the local chapter runway, to build your own little one plane hanger on, you would think people would buy them and it'd be a big boost for the club. I'd love to have a tiny square on the side of a runway close by. Couldn't afford it personally, but something to aspire to.

Boy, my thread really moves around, this is the second time it's been moved... its flying around more than my airplane. I think one of your Kolb videos on Youtube (taking off from an airstrip next to a lake - does that sound familiar) was one of the first I commented on, 2-3 years ago?

As far as a heavier engine moving the CG... I'll see. My unedumacated guess: Plane would nose down more in glide, requiring a constant draggy backwards on stick to maintain level flight. Engine on full, probably less noticeable? As a bigger engine is really going to be pulling the little plane behind it, with more air over tail needing less input then to correct. I can tweak and move the gas tank and pilot seat further backwards to adjust. The pilot being the heaviest weight, a little movement backwards of the pilot seat should really help move the CG back to where it needs to be, somewhere under the cruise speed center of lift imho.

@Wayne - I'll hook up with EAA eventually. Every time they have a meeting date, I'm always somewhere else (like the December meeting, I was actually hundreds of miles away picking up my plane - the January meeting, I was busy with traffic tickets in court! - the February meeting, they put rather close to Valentine's Day).

I think the Civil Air Patrol gets ROTC type kids involved with planes sort of (not my cup of tea) and a very few rare high schools or colleges (engineering classes) try to build their own planes. I'm kind of a rebel loner, unless I'm on the internet, then I'll talk your head off. I don't really need club participation to inspire me, I have Youtube :)

Updated my website with pictures of the engine DerSwede found and sent me...

17. Feb 12, 2016 #57

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

This is one of several good examples. Sure, every once in awhile, someone gets lucky and survives a cold-turkey (untrained) introduction to solo flight relatively unscathed, but the truth of the matter is that things can go great, right up until the time they don't, and when they don't, severe injury or death is a very real probability. Things go wrong sometimes, even for trained, experienced pilots. Why risk your life by adding a factor of NO emergency management experience to this mix?

Topaz likes this.
  18. Feb 12, 2016 #58

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

@bmcj - Trust me, I'm the last one in the world who wants myself to become a statistic and news story. :) Living ain't all that great, but I'll chose it any day over ... whatever the alternative thing is. Plus, after a person does such an incredible amount of work to restore a plane, they are the last one in the world who's going to want to bust it up with themselves included by being stupid, so yeah. Safety first. Its not like I'm a rich spoiled kid buying a fully operational toy on a whim at a dealership, and punching the throttle for the sky like completely clueless space cadet. Us poor folks can't afford hospitals, so we tend to be actually... super conservative careful. If we get hurt, we just die. That and I'm hospital averse. :) Plus a long road ahead of work to do... everywhere... on everything... no chance of flying any time soon.

Still, people can fly without hardcore training.

Birds do it... every day. :) This is a 35 mph motor glider after all, not a Sopwith Camel, Gee Bee, or F-104 Starfighter.

Just got my first donation for the engine from an HBA member :) My dad just told me whatever was left I couldn't scrounge up for the engine, he'd loan me. So that's cool too.

19. Feb 12, 2016 #59

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Good to hear. I'm sure you've noticed an undue amount of concern and advice against undertaking your first flight on your own. That is only because you sometimes send mixed signals. Occasionally (or often), it sounds like you are espousing the Cowboy (Cowgirl?) approach of "Just do it". As long as you know that a self-trained approach to flying is not conducive to a long and injury-free life, then we are all behind you 100%.

Topaz, Matt G. and Angusnofangus like this.
  20. Feb 12, 2016 #60

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I think so... not a lake though, it's the Connecticut River. https://www.youtube.com/user/parafan/videos

Sort of. An aft CG is the worst as the aircraft can become dangerously unstable. The forward limit is largely a matter of having enough elevator authority (with safety margin) to flare for landing (stall the aircraft in ground effect). Power increases elevator authority, yes, but the aircraft needs to be stable and controllable anywhere from power off to full throttle, and under every loading condition (full tank/empty tank, heaviest/lightest pilot, etc.)

You've already said you're going to be quite awhile before you have the plane ready to fly. No rush to buy an engine. Suitable engines do come up from time to time for a good price, take your time and keep your eyes open.

Dana

bmcj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.