• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dope and Fabric on a Cycle Kart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bow

As I mentioned in my introduction post, I am building a Cycle Kart.

A Cycle Kart is basically an Adult Go Kart, powered by a 6.5hp ~200-212 cc engine, but built in the inspired style of a 1920s-1930s Grand Prix or Special car.

My inspiration car is the 1929 Morgan RIP Special. this car is actually only about 10 years old, but build from 1928-1929 original parts. it is a Morgan Super Aero 3 wheeler converted to 4 wheels, runs a wood frame, chain drives, and the body is wood former and stringer covered by dope and fabric. the engine is a motorcycle JAP V-twin; As See here:

Morgan-RIP-Special-1200.jpg

My project is currently looking like this. I have just started building the body, and I am using 1/2" EMT Conduit for the frame (take proper steps to remove the galvanized coating prior to welding).

IMG_20160625_220244_208.jpg

IMG_20160626_160934_601.jpg

I must say, I have gain a lot of respect for those that build tube frames!

I will be adding more strings next time I work on it (hopefully this weekend), but I am looking forward to the fabric to run.

In the cycle Kart game, there is a gentleman's agreement to limit the power modifications to "Stage 1" on the engine, which basically brings it up to 11-12 hp, so the only "Legal" way to cheat? build it lighter.

I would like to ask the people that use dope and fabric, or the new versions of it, which is the best way to go? Dacron?

I have been looking at Aircraft Spruce and saw the 1.8ozFull Width Dacron listed at $4.35 a yard. I was wondering it this would be strong enough to take a bit of abuse from the trash kicked up off the tires at speed?

Also, will I need to go with felt on the tubes under the fabric?

Good glue to use to attach it to the tubes?

Do I need to stitch it to the tubes?

Then I'll look at how to paint it.

Sorry for all the questions, and I hope a non-aircraft, but classic aircraft inspired project is OK.

Back