DONT KINK THEM CABLES

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

don january

Log Member
As a young man 11-12 my oh man used to fly Rc between spraying just to keep that knife sharp edge on his flying abilities. After two or three times around the patch he'd get tired of the plane he was flying and throw it under the bench. well like any curious young man wanting to fly I'd say dad can I have that bird? Well not ready for my own radio dad said make a u control out of it. "oh wow the rush was on" glued the rudder hard right and did the elevator linkage. Now what oh yes need some string for control, up down round and round. well at my age you dont care about weight and CG is something that tickles. this paticular plane weighed about 4 pounds and no string I could find would work. Dad came out and handed me a roll of small steel cable almost like fishing line, maybe it was? He said one thing," DONT KINK THE CABLE" Well like any good kid the cable got drug around and wraped up fast after every flight but never kinked (I THOUGHT) I had the bestest ground crew named Tim he would hand launch and just have a blast watching the thing go round and round and round. One day we get the dinner bell and hurry lets get to them home made buns, did'nt think a person can roll up cable that fast! after dinner we took the plane back out for a nice evening flight and fired it up, of she goes round and round and "POP" There goes a cable, Hard right barrel roll and me I figure I'll just run out and catch it before it hits the ground. Well with big oh crocodile tears in my eyes I hear this hysterical laugh, DAD rolling on the ground "told you not to kink them cables

don january

Log Member
As a young man 11-12 my oh man used to fly Rc between spraying just to keep that knife sharp edge on his flying abilities. After two or three times around the patch he'd get tired of the plane he was flying and throw it under the bench. well like any curious young man wanting to fly I'd say dad can I have that bird? Well not ready for my own radio dad said make a u control out of it. "oh wow the rush was on" glued the rudder hard right and did the elevator linkage. Now what oh yes need some string for control, up down round and round. well at my age you dont care about weight and CG is something that tickles. this paticular plane weighed about 4 pounds and no string I could find would work. Dad came out and handed me a roll of small steel cable almost like fishing line, maybe it was? He said one thing," DONT KINK THE CABLE" Well like any good kid the cable got drug around and wraped up fast after every flight but never kinked (I THOUGHT) I had the bestest ground crew named Tim he would hand launch and just have a blast watching the thing go round and round and round. One day we get the dinner bell and hurry lets get to them home made buns, did'nt think a person can roll up cable that fast! after dinner we took the plane back out for a nice evening flight and fired it up, of she goes round and round and "POP" There goes a cable, Hard right barrel roll and me I figure I'll just run out and catch it before it hits the ground. Well with big oh crocodile tears in my eyes I hear this hysterical laugh, DAD rolling on the ground "told you not to kink them cables
Had a friends son learn this lesson today at the airport. now I know how funny it was for Dad.:gig:

don january

Log Member
Lately working on the cables for the T-mono I keep going back in time and seeing that CL turning around and coming at me. I sure take my time and baby those cables on the new build of the mono. I guess no cable is to big to "KINK".:gig:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Back in a previous century, the U-control wires used to come with a "Kink-Graph" which showed the loss of strength from kinks at various degrees. I never forgot just how much strength was lost with what I considered to be a mild or moderate kink.

I think it was the Pylon brand of U-control wires, or Sullivan (same company at one point).

I never had one break, because the majority of U-control I flew was the 1/2A size stuff that flew on string instead of wire or cable.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I never had one to brake but I tried my best to take care of them. Started with 1/2 A (Atwood .049) and took 17 tries to make the first circle without crashing. I have never seen a U-control fly before. ( 12 years old). Then flew stunt with a Fox 35 and also combat with flying wings. Went to RC in 1958. Those were great days.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never broke a cable either. The U-Reeley with the spool built into the handle helped with that, though it was heavy and interfered with the "feel". My favorite was the Jr. Nobler with a Fox .15, also had a Flite Streak and a Dumas (Veco) Smoothie, not sure what engine, and a whole succession of 1/2As. Built a "Vertigo" from AAM plans, with a throttled Veco .19 and three line control it was supposed to be able to hover but that was easier said than done. It looked like a biplane combat ship. I made the mistake of trying to fly that one on string, they didn't break but they stretched so bad I barely had any control, and no throttle control.

I lived across the road from the high school, so I flew the ukies in the parking lot after school nearly every day. One day a new in the neighborhood lady complained about the noise. A lady cop came out to talk to us, said it might be nice if we'd quit for the day, but we didn't have to. She said there was a law about unnecessary noise, but as far as she was concerned it wasn't "unnecessary." :)

I keep saying one of these days I'm going to build another ukie, maybe a Ringmaster or something like that.

don january

Log Member
I was about 3 and half feet tall when flying those UC that where left overs from dads RC and my feet made crop circles in the grass after awhile.:) My first attempt was a P-40 Warhawk .049 and it lasted about 1/4 of a turn. Just about lost all wants of flying when that one ate the dust.:wail: When I took the left over RC and rigged for UC I had to lean back about 10 degrees to stay on my feet but I only weighed about 80 lb "soak and wet".:gig: I still can't see on top of the refrigerator I guess thats why the T-mono fits good. Dana I agree I wish it would become more popular these days like it was back then...

Aesquire

My wood planes ended up all plywood except for the balsa wedges supporting the plywood engine mount. Most of the time we used the basketball court at the grade school. The goal posts imposed a line length limit & discipline on drifting off center.

I wonder if all the spinning affected my judgment when I started hang gliding with a wood & polyethylene kite? I know the local who built & flew a Chanute biplane did U-control too. I'd bring mine over when I helped out & we'd cut ribbons flying combat in his yard.

challenger_II

Saw the deck hands on a semi-submersible offshore drilling rig let an anchor cable get kinked (2" Roebling Wire Rope). Hammered out the kink, thinking they could get away with it. Parted the first time we caught 8ft seas. Live end of the cable draped itself all over the port rear quarter of the deck. DARNED good think no one was back there!

Lately working on the cables for the T-mono I keep going back in time and seeing that CL turning around and coming at me. I sure take my time and baby those cables on the new build of the mono. I guess no cable is to big to "KINK".:gig:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Built lots of Ringmasters. Built lots of combat PDQ's , (flying wings , Pretty/ Da* / Quick.
After all the CG control line and RC kits I built, it was a honor to do some work for him on his retracts for RC Pattern ships.
Winner of the Nats in free flight in 1940 had a hobby shop down the street from where I went to live with my parents in Pittsburgh, Pa in 1955. He took me under his wings on free flight and we both started RC in 1958 after building our 5 watt CW radios. We joined the Pittsburgh "ARCS RC club. The club field at this time is named from another man I used to fly RC with back in the late 50's.

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
That is some really great history Dan. Out in my area its hard to find either RC or CL groups and I don't think people really know how close RC flying is much like a full size aircraft mind set. Video was nice they make a good team and with those first few launches I guess that is where the saying "Home sick Angel" comes from

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Walt Good was a member of the RC club in Pittsburgh for a while. Can't remember the years. Guessing maybe 1958,1959, 1960. We flew in a field that was an old strip mine south of city.

Me with my RC Debolt Pea-shooter when I was about 22 years old in 1962. At that time I was also flying control line combat with flying wings.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking at that picture I can almost smell the castor oil...

But, a muffler in 1962?