Don't Hyperventilate!

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

AdrianS

Point of order - every hawk I've ever seen has a high-aspect ratio wing.

Is there a hawk with a delta platform?

Reactions: dog

KeithO

Even years ago, the prices for their non existent engines had risen so high I find it hard to imagine there is anyone interested. From the info that had historically been published they had poor specific fuel consumption, no better than Lycomings or Continentals. As I recall the Detroit series of 2 stroke diesels were the same, thirsty beats. Sold plenty to the government and defense contractors and at least seemed to be simple and durable. But modern 4 stroke diesels seemed to have huge advantages for transportation where fuel was the largest sunk cost.

addaon

Supporting Member
Their most recent public SFC was 0.39 lbs/hp*hr, which is a good 10% better than an economy-leaned Lycoming, and maybe 20% better than leaned for power. It's a bit better than the Rotaxes seem to get as well.

Around me, jet fuel is a good $1/gallon cheaper than avgas.

If they can hit the same price point as a TIO-360 (which is probably the closest equivalent performance-wise), it would be super tempting for some use cases even at 50 lbs heavier. If they can hit the same price point as the UL520T (probably the closest experimental equivalent) it would be impressive, but yeah, that's unlikely.

KeithO

So they removed all previous published data about the product, all that is left is an FAQ.

They are hiring engineers though, to develop an engine, copy of the job posting below:

Job Summary:

The Mechanical Engineer will assist in the development of new engine platforms as well as the sustainment of existing models. This individual will primarily focus on engine development including specifications, design conceptualization, detailed engineering design, development of validation requirements, and analysis.

Essential Duties & Responsibilities:

An individual in this position must be able to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities listed below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Other duties may be assigned.
  • Ability to manage projects to successful completion.
  • Design, develop, and integrate engine systems and components, starting with basic engineering analysis.
  • Select appropriate materials and processes considering performance, longevity, reliability, and cost.
  • Lead verification and validation efforts for collections of systems, subsystems, and components
  • Develop and create test standards and protocols; analyze test results.
  • Proactively communicate with engineers, drafters, suppliers, and program managers to optimize engine design, reliability, and performance.
  • Design for lowest manufacturing cost consistent with reliability, performance requirements, and FAA certification standards.
  • Supervise drawing preparation in accordance to ASME drafting standards.
  • Assist and provide input on process implementation in new and existing areas
  • Support FAA certification efforts
Qualifications
  • Required:
    • BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
    • 5+ years of appropriate engine design experience especially with rotating assemblies, gear trains, or superchargers
    • Excellent organizational skills
    • Ability to effectively communicate with engineering, management, and lab technicians
    • 3D CAD Experience (Solidworks, I-DEAS, NX, etc.
  • Preferred: Advanced Engineering degree or certification
    • Pilot
    • Aviation enthusiast
Working Conditions
  • This position is a professional engineering position, yet combined with occasional “hands-on”, assisting technicians working through challenges on the engine(s).

Last edited by a moderator:

plncraze

Supporting Member
If this is a small diesel maybe they are going to make a hybrid. An engineer I talked to said that was the only way to get any range out of batteries.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lessee here, a billion dollars divided by the most recent price I heard of from Deltahawk is 65,000 engines. Hmm. They must either be planning much higher prices or a lot of engines.

TFF

Once a company like this overspends to float salaries while hoping to make it big, it’s over. It turns into a Ponzi. They have a product they can’t release because it’s a failure economically out of the box. They can never make enough to cover cost’s much less profit. To the investors that’s fraud, to know this. Certification, I thought had been completed years ago, but a development company is not a manufacturing company. No facilities except to make ones and twos. No Cessna contracts, not enough homebuilts. Drones is really the only market and they are not poised to turn the switch on for a government contract. Seems like they need to keep the light on so they can keep the image up for the investors.