• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

DOM versus Seamless drawn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

Given that a piece of 3/4" x 0.035" 4130 steel tube now costs $7.50 a foot, I have been looking at other options. DOM tubing is starting to look attractive for certain application. It is already used for a wide variety of structures (race cars and motorcycles for example) and in an application such a a steel tube fuselage frame I can't really see much objection to it. Most tubes are sized for buckling loads for which the lower ultimate strength doesn't really matter, since the modulus of elasticity is the same for both types of tubing. (Or close enough.)

Trying to find reliable property values for these tubes is a little difficult; some suppliers are decidedly optimistic with their values, but even if considered an average mild steel (say 60kpsi ultimate, 40kpsi yield) it would be a useful material. For bending applications, I'd still go for 4130.

Back