Quantcast

Does your auto-conversion airplane have over 500 hrs TT?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Does your auto conversion plane have over 200HP have 500+hrs TT?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rv7charlie

Well, since I just criticized the FAA for its stupid limitation in an overall good idea for a rule, I have to temper the criticism (slightly). Due to another thread here specifically about the 2nd pilot program, I took another look at the AC, and if the kit mfgr *specifically calls out a particular alternative engine*, then the plane can qualify for the 2 pilot program. However, no plans-built a/c qualifies, regardless of engine choice.

Russell

To answer the question of the topic … I currently have 883 hours on our six cylinder Subaru EG33 powered Glasair 1 RG. This plane has not always been pampered. We have run in 22 air races and are undefeated in our class. She also holds the class speed record, with an average speed of 227.33 knots over the 150 mile closed course race.

There are few areas in my airframe that have not been modified over what the assembly manual called for. This power plant is a one of a kind design of my own. I do not have an army of designers, fabricators, builders or test pilots. Building as I did was not easy … but that’s OK with me, I’m not a cookie cutter guy and prefer going where most will not.
Russell Sherwood

TFF

I know someone who rode on the second flight of his plane. He had no tailwheel experience even though he had 20,000 hours. Test flight day was saved for Dec 17,2003. The builder was going to fly his plane that day.

Rules are to keep an average. Everyone breaks rules. What rules you break does describe personality. I pick the rules I break, when to break them, and accept the consequences if I get caught. Most of the time I find the rules reasonable.

pfarber

HBA Supporter
Considering that almost every auto install is a unique exercise in engineering vs a heavily researched/engineered and tested certified engine/airframe combination installed by highly trained and certified mechanics, the certified engines should be much closer to 0.

It would be interesting if some NTSB reports could be linked to for a few randam auto and certified engine failures to see what the actual cause was.

Does engine failure include running out of gas? Pilot error? Or actual physical failure of the engine?

Considering 500 hours would be almost 10 years of 'normal' flight time (average PPL hours are 20-50/year) I would think that a teardown/inspection of a car motor to occur long before that time. It costs almost nothing to crack open a car motor and physically inspect for wear. I would think that 200-400 hours would be a good 'lets have a look' inspection timeframe.

Even if I got 100 hours before rebuild, that still 2-5 years.

SamP

Always enjoy seeing the statistics that Ron presents and the discussions afterwards

spaschke

My Auto engine conversion is over 200 hp and just turned 11hrs( on ground testing). First flight should be end of October. I'm still discovering the characteristics of the engine installation, lately starting after it sits for several months. Once I got the fuel to the pump, It ran perfectly.
I experience the power loss when throttling down to idle in my testing once and made adjustments. It has been on my mind ever since.