Does someone know the books of Alex Strojnik? [Low Power Laminar Aircraft Structures]

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Tom Nalevanko

Re: Does someone know the books of Alex Strojnik? [Low Power Laminar Aircraft Structu

Hola Eduardo,

I have read these books and they are well written and useful. Dr. Strojnik, now deceased, was a pioneer in composite aircraft. His project in the books was a the motor glider.

Tom

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Does someone know the books of Alex Strojnik? [Low Power Laminar Aircraft Structu

Hi all

I found three books of light aircraft design and structural sizing,

Low power Laminar aircraft design and Low power Laminar aircraft structures
LOW POWER LAMINAR AIRCRAFT DESIGN from Aircraft Spruce

However I don't know anything about Dr Strojnik besides that he design the Strojnik S-2

Does someone knows this books? Are them usefull?

Thanks in advance
I have all of them and have found most things written by him. He is a very interesting geeky sort of person. The kind of geek that can't get two socks to match every but can quote from the trig tables. His books are written emphatically that what he is writing is the only solution to anything (!). But they are more than a bit useful once you get past the 50's typewriter style and the quirkiness. I find all that charming. I don't like my ubernerds to be polished. I have been going to those books for more than 30 years. Still good stuff in there. In fact if I was going to have one text to make me suffer through the basics of the process it would be them. I have lots of engineering level texts. Those folks get lost in lots of theory and don't really know how to just walk you through a real world problem. What Prof. Stojnik's books do is just that. One problem at a time. One scenario at a time. Real world walk throughs. Each text has something it focuses on. One is structures, one is flight loads, one is configurations and innovating using composites and other materials. It all still applies.

SVSUSteve

He is a very interesting geeky sort of person. The kind of geek that can't get two socks to match every but can quote from the trig tables.
You just described Dave, my father-in-law. :roll::roll:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member

I have all of them and have found most things written by him. He is a very interesting geeky sort of person. The kind of geek that can't get two socks to match every but can quote from the trig tables. His books are written emphatically that what he is writing is the only solution to anything (!). But they are more than a bit useful once you get past the 50's typewriter style and the quirkiness. I find all that charming. I don't like my ubernerds to be polished. I have been going to those books for more than 30 years. Still good stuff in there. In fact if I was going to have one text to make me suffer through the basics of the process it would be them. I have lots of engineering level texts. Those folks get lost in lots of theory and don't really know how to just walk you through a real world problem. What Prof. Stojnik's books do is just that. One problem at a time. One scenario at a time. Real world walk throughs. Each text has something it focuses on. One is structures, one is flight loads, one is configurations and innovating using composites and other materials. It all still applies.
Yeah, I'll second this opinion. The only things I'd add are that Strojnik has an almost religious attitude towards drag reduction (he was, after all, a sailplane pilot), and that the books are not a complete "airplane design" solution. They're quite good in all the ways Jay says above, and are a very good "practicum" for real-world light sportplane and motorglider design. However, they don't even touch the subject of sizing, for example, and the structures section should be considered a primer, not an exhaustive coverage of structural design.

I think they're completely worth having and reading, and form a good part of a complete designer's library that includes Raymer, Bruhn, Peery, and the like.

SVSUSteve

The only things I'd add are that Strojnik has an almost religious attitude towards drag reduction
To quote one of the retired aeronautical engineering professors I know, "Strojnik packed around a bigger hard-on for reducing drag of anyone else on the planet at the time." Having read part of one of his books, I think my friend was being polite.

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter

However, they don't even touch the subject of sizing, for example, and the structures section should be considered a primer, not an exhaustive coverage of structural design.
Certianly not an exhaustive primmer on structural design I agree. But if you are talking about structural sizing there is quite a bit of that. There is also some pretty good walk throughs of stuff like Schrenk approximation, what I call the Carmichael approach to drag accounting, some good thrust to drag engine sizing info. You have to just understand that he is only talking about designs that he is religiously attached to. So if you are doing something else you need to interpolate. The other thing I find funny about the book is the sort of 50s text book illustrations and stricken out sentences and stuff like that. You don't necessarily read them as much as vicariously attending a lecture of his while he is scribbling on the chalk board :)

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter

Certianly not an exhaustive primmer on structural design I agree. But if you are talking about structural sizing there is quite a bit of that. There is also some pretty good walk throughs of stuff like Schrenk approximation, what I call the Carmichael approach to drag accounting, some good thrust to drag engine sizing info. You have to just understand that he is only talking about designs that he is religiously attached to. So if you are doing something else you need to interpolate. The other thing I find funny about the book is the sort of 50s text book illustrations and stricken out sentences and stuff like that. You don't necessarily read them as much as vicariously attending a lecture of his while he is scribbling on the chalk board :)
and all the exclamation points (!) with little hand drawn arrows to where the emphasis was supposed to have been rendered...

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member

No, I meant aircraft sizing - what Raymer is religious about. Strojnik's explanation and procedures for the Schrenk's are the clearest I've ever seen, and yes, he covers a lot of material very well. It's just not enough to completely finish an airplane design.

Yes, his books have a genuine "professor's lecture notes" feel about them. Unfortunately, I think they're going to fade from view once his widow passes on. And I don't see them being revised or updated (or retypeset!!!) by anyone. Grab 'em while you can.

SVSUSteve

what Raymer is religious about
At least Raymer puts on an entertaining lecture or two every year at Oshkosh.....

Which by the way, I get to do my own presentation this year. We'll see how that goes....watch, I'll be up against John Roncz or Burt Rutan and no one will attend. LOL

BBerson

HBA Supporter

At least Raymer puts on an entertaining lecture or two every year at Oshkosh.....

Which by the way, I get to do my own presentation this year. We'll see how that goes....watch, I'll be up against John Roncz or Burt Rutan and no one will attend. LOL
What name will you be using for this Oshkosh forum?
I can't make it this year, maybe you could post a video.
BB

Hot Wings

HBA Supporter
Log Member

Subject? Aviation safety, your LSA, your air limo, or a combination?

SVSUSteve

Will do. We'll have to remember to take a video camera.

ultralajt

I have his books and regarding the time when they were written, I think they are the best books that would be builder can buy.
(well we can discuss if they are really "books"... more like a home assembled papers, but we should judge content not just cover pages.. ;) )

I have also some many books from other authors , butI didnt find them so useful as Strojnik`s books.

For instance:
- COMPOSITE BASICS
- COMPOSITE AIRCRAFT DESIGN BY MARTIN HOLLMANN
- DETAIL DESIGN MANUAL
- AIRPLANE DESIGN BY DONALD CRAWFORD
- A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO AIRPLANE PERFORMANCE AND DESIGN
- ASA AERODYNAMICS FOR NAVAL AVIATORS
- COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE TO AIRFOIL SELECTIONS
-
They also dont cover everything one need for sucsessful design from start to finish.

BTW, Alex Strojnik was born in my country, but went to USA in fifthies....

He wrote a book also here in 1948 and I have one in my library: "Človek je dobil krila" (man got his wings) and it is about sailplanes and soaring:

AS STROJNIK L.jpgAS STROJN RIS L.jpg
Probably this is the reason, that I am kind of FAN of Strojnik... :)

Mitja

SVSUSteve

I'd very much like to see your talk as well. Perhaps post it to YouTube?
I'll probably do that and then post the link on here to help stimulate discussion, criticism and generally give people a place to vent their vitriole over my stances on safety. LOL

Eduardo Fadul

Wow this post become popular.

Thanks a lot for all your reaplies I already oreder this two books looking for the third one in a further ocacion.

Group Builder