• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Does a Rotax 586 exist?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob de Bie

I'm researching the General Atomics Gnat 750, the UAV from around 1990 that can be seen as the predecessor of the Predator. Only a few were built, and the available data is very limited. Usually the Rotax 532 and 582 are reported to be installed, and I can find plenty on these engines: spare parts, photos, manuals, and on and on.

However, 'Jane's Unmanned Aircraft' issue 0 reports a Rotax 586 for the Gnat. If I search on that, almost all web pages report that it's the engine installed in the Sagem Sperwer, a French UAV. But I don't see any photos, spare parts, manuals, etc. That makes me wonder whether this engine actually exists. The Sperwer engine, in the very photos that I can find of the engine, looks a lot like a 532 or 582. So maybe 586 was a misprint that gets repeated over and over?

Since many homebuilts have Rotax engines, maybe someone here can answer this question?

Rob

Back