Quantcast

Dodgy take-off video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rtfm

Hi folks,
Not sure if you've seen this one before, but a buddy back in South Africa who has heard that I'm building a plane, thought he'd poke a bit of fun by superimposing my name as a title for this footage. Pretty scary stuff...

Enjoy.
Duncan

[video]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11778598/The Dream of D. Meyer - Meyer takes off!!!.wmv[/video]

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Duncan,

Wow. You nearly watched an accident there. Way down on power? Way heavy? Got into a field he could almost not get out of? Who knows?

Billski

PTAirco

That video has been making the rounds for several months. Didn't the FAA even pick up on it and use for some safety video?

No less scary every time I watch it.

pilotarix

Why scary... he just perfectly calculated his takeoff distance, certainly not the one with the 50f obstacle.
This guy obviously belongs to the group of people you can't help. :speechles

TFF

That pilot knew exactly how much weight his plane could carry. 1 pound more and he would have not made it.

Battson

The pilot wasn't "he" actually I believe, it was a woman. I think quite an experienced pilot? They did an interview, and they way she described it - it could probably have been anyone of us not for a little more caution.

IIRC, it was quite high altitude somewhere in the northerm US, and they expected to need a lot of the runway and had just arrived that morning. But the high DA had gotten higher into the heat of the afternoon, and they were committed before they realised how much trouble they were in. She talked about the tail coming up slower and heavier being the only real tell-tale before they were too far committed to abort.

skeeter_ca

Not that im experienced at that kind of flying but.......Wouldn't it been better to get the tail up level so there would be less aerodynamic drag during acceleration and then rotate at minimun speed rather than keep the tail down until it flys off the ground. Did i say that right?

skeeter

Jan Carlsson

On a soft field take off, there is a optimum CL for all phases during take off, and it vari all the way, it is so theoretical so hardly no one can fly the profile properly.

I think she did well in beginning of the take off with tail just lifted but later lifted the tail to much.

I saw the video two times and she just barely made it both times. :)

M

MyloHaba

The airplane looks like one been built by some 70ish year old female somewhere in the states .. I don't know if she is the same woman or not ...

I truly find raising the tail a correct action ... no wrong there .. the runway is not leveled as you can see clearly ... and that causes the alteration of the AOA .. thus creating more drag and reducing speed and ultimately requiring a longer distance to take off ...

Sure the plane feels extra heavy ... I don't know .. but also the speed didn't right somehow which indicates a heavy craft too ...

Anyway it was an extreme experience am sure... I felt as if am the one running towards those trees and falling in that lake ... :)

208Caravan

I'd like to watch it, is this a Web link or a downloadable file???? My computer is wanting to download it. I'm not good with computers, well,.... unless it's a G1000. :gig:

Workhorse

That pilot knew exactly how much weight his plane could carry. 1 pound more and he would have not made it.
He was actually about 80 pounds heavier I guess -or- a drifted tailwind. He made it because of God almighty. Period.
Did you see the shadows of the tree he didn't hit?. I got shudders seeing that.

Nickathome

He had time to abort that takeoff. Another case of over confidence on the part of the pilot. "Yeah we can make it no problem, gotta get homeitis".

He or she should have determined a fail safe spot where if not airborne by that certain point, throttle back and roll to a stop. They're lucky they weren't killed.

litespeed

Looks to me that the pilot was doing a interview for the "Dead Pilots Society"

I will bet they can't do that trick more than a few times without biting a tree...........................I vote this as a potential winner of the Darwin Awards.

We can come up with a heap of reasons why this happened, but at the end of the runway- only the pilot is to blame.

Stayin alive in 2013
Litespeed

topspeed100

Banned
I agree litespeed...you cannot get closer to a tree with a wing and still keep on flying. She found the only possible spot in that end of the runway bush/forest region. This was a real proof to me that God exists..or supernatural flying skills...either way.

Anyway..she does pull the stick heavily before the end of the runway and possibly does prohibit the take off speed long enough that the runway sorta ends prematurely.

I think our washing machine might be unable to wash the undies after that.