• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Do you have to prime in between parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some wisdom, from experienced builders:

When you assemble alloy wing parts (say 2024-T3 for instance), is it important that all parts which are permenantly afixed together receive primer between them. My example is the spar cap strips and spar C-section. Will priming over the assembed spar give the same (and adequate) protection against intra-spar corrosion, compared to painting the parts seperately then assembling them?

I am no expert, but see advantages and disadvantages each way:
  • Priming individual parts gives protection to the surfaces in contact, but increases weight, and permanent fixtures (e.g. rivets after priming) introduce unprimed ingress points for corrosion.
  • Priming the assembled spar provides a single unbroken layer of protection, in theory, but leaves the internal mating surfaces exposed and in contact with each other, and corrosion could develop in there.
Maybe I'm making too big a deal about this, I understand some people in dry climates consider priming the interior of wings "optional". Any comment? Either way, I live in a country where you're never too far from the sea.

I appreciate any wisdom, experience, or advice you can share. Thanks.

Back