Do people steal glass avionics

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Yep......people will steal if you give them an opportunity.
At my home field we got hit by someone that knew exactly what they wanted and how to get it a few years back.
He/she/they broke the auxiliary latch on my Tomahawk ,because it was locked, and then helped themselves to my KX175 radio......slid it right out of the tray with no damage......they knew what they were doing because they had the tool to unlock it from the tray.
Another plane had the door latch broke,because it was locked, and they took a nice handheld radio....they left the old handheld gps that was setting right beside the radio.
And another aircraft had the door latch broke,because it was locked, and a panel mount gps unit taken from the tray.....no damage to it either....slid it right out.

Sad to say.......but whomever hit us that night was probably an A&P or at least a fellow airman because other than damage getting into the aircraft they had the right tools to remove the units with no damage.

As Hank Jr sang it....."I'd like to spit some beachnut in that dudes eye & shoot em with my old 45"............

Kevin

Last edited:

Riggerrob

The sneakiest of professional thieves remove a defective radio from one airplane and install it in a second airplane. Then they install the third radio in a fourth airplane and nobody notices until the instrument panel is removed years later.
Hah!
Hah!

Riggerrob

Dear Daleandee,
That reminds me of the batch of electronic altimeters that were stolen from the U.S. Army Golden Knights Parachute Team. They were all seized when they returned to the factory for scheduled maintenance (4 year cycle).

pwood66889

Reminds me, Rigger, of The Great Radio Shuffle. Nefarious person finds desired radio in two different planes on the field. Knowing that a stolen radio ends up on the "Hot Sheet" and will be reported when bought in for service, Nefarious person (NEF for short) takes radio out of one plane, puts it in the other, then deals the second radio. First radio gets reported, and recipient gets busted when s/he innocently takes it in for repair. Hope NEF's not following this thread... :-(

ScaleBirdsScott

A security camera in the hangar might not be a bad idea if there's anything particularly valuable in the plane. They're cheaper than the avionics nowadays.

rollerball

Hi all. Rotax engine theft is pretty rife in the UK, especially at the more remote farm based strips. And unlike in the earlier pic, they now tend to just cut them off using angle grinders to save time. They also now quite frequently rip panels out while they're doing it to get the instruments causing huge damage to the aircraft concerned. The suspicion is that the stolen items are then being containerized, labelled as something like 'agricultural' or 'garden' products and being shipped to eastern Europe. The thinking behind that is that the engine numbers are all registered as stolen on Rotax's web site and couldn't easily be used anywhere else in western Europe but it's well known that this doesn't apply in the less wealthy parts of the east. Avionics stuff though is much more difficult to trace and identify. Smart water for example is only of any use if you're looking for it and in the east they're not, of course. I doubt that stuff is being stolen and then exported from the States? If so, do you have any web sites etc where engines etc are registered so if they pop up again after being stolen they can be identified?
Fortunately where I live now in France theft is pretty rare, especially in the countryside. But it still pays to have your aircraft hangared in as secure a location a possible. I had one on an airfield for 'free' when I first got here but it was very open to the public and after I found some damage on its wiring loom and a tie down rope cut I got it out of there.