• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Do airboat gear drives really work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Autodidact

I don't want to create a definition "what works" or in this case, "sufficiently reliable", what I would like to know and think would be helpful to know is what kind of quantifiable track record do these gear drives (airboat only, and geared only, please...) have when used in aircraft. Reliability is a degreed assessment, so to what degree are these devices reliable. So the key identifiers for this thread are "airboat", "gear drive", and "used in an aircraft". Are there documented experiences (logs) of usage, type of usage, flight hours, any failures, durability (time between rebuilds), etc. I only know of two airboat gear drives used in aircraft: an RV6 and the Radial Rocket derivative. Surely there are others - how did they work out in the long term?

Back