DIY led anti-collision, position lights?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by cluttonfred, Dec 13, 2014.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 16, 2014 #21

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Does anyone know what number and intensity of LEDs are used in this LED beacon? LED Beacon & LTR Presumably, exceeding that intensity would be a good place to start.

I'd like to see what might be possible using just one or two of these with the appropriate driver: 350 Lumen 10 Watt Super Bright, Red LED | MPJA.COM. I would think that one on top and one on the bottom of a puck-shaped lens with a central double conical reflector would be pretty darn bright for not much cash.

2. Dec 16, 2014 #22

fredoyster

fredoyster

fredoyster

So, what is an "approved" system? We already know that it has nothing to do with approval i.e. TSO of the components.

3. Dec 16, 2014 #23

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I'd say that it is any system that meets the required light output and pattern.

...And it it is up to the owner/operator to determine if it meets that requirement.

4. Jan 31, 2015 #24

zoom

zoom

zoom

Hi, I would like share my development. I made "virtual" beacon from 50W LEDs. system is like: there are 3 LEDs per 120DEG first goes on for 0.1s then 0.3s gap second goes on for 0.1s, 0.3s gap, thirth 0.1s, 0.3s gap and again from first. time 0.1s is selected cause of human eye can't recognize shorter light impuls in full intensity. It look like rotating beacon with one round per second. Its powered by dc/dc constant current led driver and output from dc/dc is distributed via myself developed bord to LEDs. I think that I'm under 75USD if I not count my work and development.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/1181...s/6090200567245606561?authkey=CNe-g_CY-fbD0QE

Stepan

5. Feb 1, 2015 #25

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Very interesting, Stepan, and it looks tiny. How about a video clip of the beacon in action?

6. Feb 1, 2015 #26

zoom

zoom

zoom

Dimensions are 76mm height and 60mm in diameter. It's made from 6061 dural and transparent cover are from acrylic tube with 3mm wall. Video is little bit tricky because my mobile can't catch so short impulses :) I will try it with camera. Right now I'm working on 2nd evolution with fully integrated electronic. I just finish desing of all in one PCB it has 48mm in dia and can be inserted to big hole in base of beacon. I'm thinking about possibility of setting impuls length and speed of "rotation" via two potenciometers, but I'm not sure if I will be able to plase two potenciometer on so small both side assembled bord :D. only for imagination photo of PCB
    flash_v2.png

7. Feb 11, 2015 #27

mcurcio1989

mcurcio1989

mcurcio1989

I purchased this controller and one additional LED for the tail. I'm going to wire a strobe in for the tail with one of the wings and just use the wig wag function. Honestly, for what they provide in this kit I don't think you can beat it diy. I haven't wired it up yet but I am pleased with the quality of everything I received and shipping was quick! The Pietenpol my club owns just has some of the red and green led strips that autozone sells. They are cheap and work good.

LED Strobe Wig-Wag and Landing Light Kit for Experimental and LSA

8. Feb 13, 2015 #28

zoom

zoom

zoom

I think that I can :) in power and in build quality :) counting with me 400mA * 12V = 4.8W it's not to much. My aim was create device which can be usefull also during sunny day not only during dusk. My solution is using full aluminium body with 3mm acrilic as cover for LED also visible range is 360deg. Some guy on local airport has 5W LEDs on wings but it can't be seen from distance arount 500m.

9. Feb 13, 2015 #29

colinc

colinc

colinc

Hi,

I can't seem to find the details, but 3-4 years ago there was a article in the UK LAA's magazine about a guy designing some LED strobes. The key feature was that he was applying the results of some research that suggested irregular flashing patterns made them more easily spotted than regular patterns.

If anyone wants to build a controller to experiment with, consider the Arduino boards which seem ideal for this application. They are very easy to program and can do all the pattern generation and switching operations for about $10 a board.

I'm currently refining an electronic compass that uses one to drive an LCD display, but the board I am using actually contains three 3-axis sensors those being a magnetometer, a gyro and an accelerometer, as well as a barometer so could potentially do much more.

i jus found the post about DIY instruments and the good work in progress - seems my little project is not that original! Will be following progress on that topic with much interest.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  10. Feb 13, 2015 #30

zoom

zoom

zoom

I'm also using arduino in this case ATTINY85 in SMD package is used. I can confirm that Arduino is brilliant platform for small project like this same as for big EFIS :)