• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

DIY Aircraft Air Conditioning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarr

Supporting Member
I've been working for a while on an electric air conditioning system for my RV-10 and thought it might be interesting for some folks.

photo 1.JPG

The basic system consists of a 28V electric compressor (purple), a ~14x20" parallel flow condenser (right), and a ~10x10" evaporator controlled by a TXV (left inside cardboard "evaporator plenum"). The photo above shows the full setup running on the bench for testing. During the test shown, the ambient temperature was 90F and the system produced between 11-12K BTU/hr of cooling. The compressor drew about 34A and the fans 12A at 28V.

photo 3.JPG

Here's a view facing the aft cabin bulkhead. The "final" evaporator inlet is on the left and the outlet to feed the overhead vents is at right.

photo 4.JPG

Inlet side of evaporator box.

photo 5.JPG

Other side and outlet duct. This was my first complex fiberglass part and it shows!

photo 2.JPG

Finally a overhead duct mockup for testing pressure drop and vent location.

David

Back