• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Direct Drive Fans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeliDev

This quetion is maninly to orion, however anyone else feel free to post.
In the thread on re-drives in the auto conversion section of the forum, orion mentioned that a 40 inch fan, without ducts or shrouds would make a good cantidate for an aircraft without a re-drive.
Could you expand on this a little further?
Why no duct or shroud? Are you of the opinion that the reduction of the tip losses are outweighed by the drag of the duct or shroud?
In a earlier post on the same thread mention was made reguarding prop efficiency in relation to diameter. You responded that this isnt nessecarily true. That if properly designed, the diameter is not such a big issue.
I have been toying with smaller diameter drives (RC), with larger chords, and getting reasonable results so far. Is this the sort of idea you were thinking of?
If you could also expand on this area as well I would appreciate it.
Sorry for the 30 quetions, its just that I have been looking into this are for a while, and everyone that I speak to thinks Im nuts.

Back