• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dimantling ribs !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fly scared!

I'm trying to restart a building project, aborted some years ago and sold to many builders since.
I've been puzzled from the start for the fillets around all joints; then I found in some places that behind the fillets there were significant gaps between the surfaces.
In the end I found that the initial builder had only "tacked" together the ribs (and many other components I discovered later) to the spar.
Don't know whether this is a common pratice or just a quirk of the builder, but now I need to get away with these fillets and do the glueing properly (face to face) :mad2:. (I tried injecting some epoxy in the gaps, but it's impossible to get confident in the result).
I tried with a cutter (blade), but is a slow, dirty process. And there's alway the risk of cutting the thin spar skin.
I have a multi-cutter tool like this , would you recommend trying to use it between the rib and the spar to remove the fillet ?

Back